Existing Member?

Me Love You Loooong Time!!!

A Step Into the Unknown for Two Weeks in India

INDIA | Wednesday, 11 January 2012 | Views [951]

23rd Dec 23:58

Very happy. Travelling/backpacking/trips away (whatever you want to call it) is preceded by a period of research, deliberation and decision-making to give you the best chance of being happy during your trip. When you actually start travelling there is nearly always some apprehension - have I made the right call / oh my god what have I got myself into / it's ok I can always fall back on 'Plan B' etc etc etc. Sometimes you get it wrong, but on the other hand sometimes you get it right.... really right.....

I landed in Mumbai feeling distinctly, well, the same.... I really wanted to be 'overwhelmed by hardcore culture shock', feel that rush of adventure when I step out into the street surrounded by chaos but with a vague plan of attack which keeps me on the right side of safe and happy. Instead, I got off the plane feeling like I'd seen all this before, even though I'd never been to India before. Everything was very, well, mundane. And I was on my own - this had to work.

If my pickup dude wasn't waiting for me outside the airport I already had a plan to find some cheap accomodation and an internet connection to arrange a pickup for the following morning, or even get on a train to Lonavala etc etc. However, none of this was necessary - the rush of relief was strong when I found my guy stood there with a sign with my name on it.

This car journey to Kamchet, however, was not without its ups and downs. It was interesting seeing the slums of Mumbai adjacent to modern tall office buildings and the organised chaos of the roads was slightly entertaining but even that was something I was used to from previous travels. So... being careful not to labour the point, I was feeling a little underwhelmed and even a little sad that maybe my trip was not going to work out the way I'd hoped. Various plan b's and c's were already being formulated, but at the same time I was making sure I maintained a certain passiveness - an essential skill to learn, in my opinion, at times like this - because you never know what's around the corner. After all, it could all come good. And come good it did...

On arrival at the guesthouse, this was perhaps when I was the most worried, because it was crunch time. If I didn't have a good time here, then I was screwed. Would my research come good? The initial signs were mixed - the guesthouse had a peaceful air about it, but at first the only guests I saw was an indian family who were keeping themselves to themselves. Then I met my instructor. Unfortunately I can't remember his name just now. But anyway, he was so friendly and basically he just stood there smiling. Whatever I said just seemed to make him happier and happier. And he would then just carry on standing there. I was quickly learning that the indian way is extreme friendliness. Now, this is not overbearing friendliness - they are just very comfortable being in the presence of other people in close proximity. How it should be really. After all, we were designed like that, I think. How much we have lost in the west.

I ordered an omlette and a random indian invited me to eat with him, even before we'd said hello. Ashutosh is a construction engineer from Mumbai and speaks near-perfect english. Something I am quickly learning is a common trait. Shortly after this meal I was attacked by a hairy catapillar and I was almost overwhelmed by the willingness of everyone to help pick out all the hairs from my skin.

After this we retired to the terrace with a beer and I spent the rest of the evening drinking beer, chatting with several indians who were all sound as fuck and watching them all get absolutely baked. It seems that the basic routine is to go flying and then get baked. And then do it all over again the next day. AWESOME.

One of the guests getting baked was a stunning model from Goa. She's just here to go flying and get stoned for a few days. Another guy was an Italian who works in Tonsai, Thailand, teaching climbing and scuba diving. He's here to go flying and get baked. Another guy was from I don't know where but he has a beard and looks a bit russian, but he isn't russian. He works here teaching flying. In the evenings, he... yes you guessed it... gets baked. There were a few other people who came and went, mostly indian - again, all spoke near-perfect english.

It was a really nice evening and once again Comfortably Numb got a few plays at peak moments. I went to bed a happy man.

 

EDIT 13.06.2013: on this trip I also met a wonderful Indian woman and had, what you could call, a 'holiday romance' if you like. But it was more than that and I don't think I'll ever be sure if I made the right decision in letting her go. But despite the unhappy ending, I genuinely grew alot from that experience and learned many valuable lessons.

It was an awesome trip in more ways than one. One of the best trips I've ever had to the point that really, the word 'trip' seems way too simple a word and doesn't do it justice.

Tags: backpacking, india, kamchet, kamshet

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.