Existing Member?

I wanna go Florida Stories and adventures from Around the World

Decaying Venice

ITALY | Monday, 31 March 2008 | Views [1556] | Comments [5]

Venice going under

Venice going under

Of course, it didn’t help that I saw a rat on the first evening. We were drinking wine out side a local bar and I saw the thing trying to get into any doorway that let him in. It was only one, and nothing like India, but iiiiik.

You probably know more about Venice than I do. I only knew that I had to visit it. It was sinking. It wasn’t going to last much longer. It’s a special place.

Well. It felt like a mix between a ghost town and some sort of North American theme park (not that I’ve been to one, but I’ve seen the TV, and according to my lately deceased grandmother, if you’ve seen it on the TV, its better and cheaper than going really truly yourself).

There are no Italians living there. Its just people who love Venice. From all over the world.

It rained non stop for two days.  Waiters wore rain boots without a blink of an eye. The water level was, in places, up to our knees. The place is really sinking before your eyes.

You can see, from the vantage point of a water taxi, whole floors submerged. I didn’t find it romantic, pretty or charming.

I found it a dead, ornate and over sold tourist trap. But you know what? It didn’t smell anything like I’d heard it would.

One good thing about the rain. We rushed from bar to bar, eating and drinking at each stop. Delicious eggplant cooked by a nice Spanish woman (no Italian’s living there remember), and liqueurs served with a very generous waiter.

We took some pretty pictures. I’m glad I went. Of course it’s a place that has its unique, famous history. But the hordes of camera snappy tourists (and yes, we were part of them, no denying it) was my last impression. A place that is way past its used by date.

Tags: rats, water

 

Comments

1

Hm. That's a bleak outlook on such a rich (though yes, dying) city. Contrary to what many believe, there are still a few Italians - Venetians, even - living in Venice. I know a few, so I can say that without hesitation. The Venetian language or dialect is even alive and well. If you're willing and attentive, Venice still has plenty "authentic" and authentically Venetian to offer. Really. It does. You should give it another chance, down the line.

  Risamay Apr 6, 2008 12:35 PM

2

Risamay!
Thank you for your comment.
I'm an inveterate exaggerator, hopefully, sometimes at least, part of my journal writing charm.
Its true we met real Venitians. I'm happy to admit it. I was in it for the over kill.
Albert, my travel partner, wants to live in Italy, one day. When we do, and if Venice is still visitable, I will definitely do more research AND update my journal with a more informed post.
Thanks for taking the time to write .
We really appreciate it.
The T of T A J

  allwelcome Apr 6, 2008 7:02 PM

3

Ah. No worries. I understand now. Glad to hear you weren't being literal. If you're into reading the travel blog drivel of other adventurers, please consider this an official invite to surf mine (at your leisure and if you can stomach it): http://risamay.blogspot.com

Happy travels and a future trip to Venice. She'll be there a while yet, or so we hope.

  Risamay Apr 16, 2008 5:53 AM

4

:)
Thanks for the invitation!
We're on the road now, but when we get back, I'd love to look at your drivel.
T

  allwelcome Apr 21, 2008 2:14 PM

5

I've got a second source of drivel now! It's mostly visual: http://vivaca.blogspot.com

Enjoy :)

  Risamay Aug 23, 2008 9:59 AM

About allwelcome


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.