Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Felix Romuliana

SERBIA | Saturday, 12 November 2011 | Views [1100]

Palace of Felix Romuliana

Palace of Felix Romuliana

The hillsides are ablaze with the last of the fall colors and the ground is carpeted with birch leaves that glisten like millions of coppery coins. Driving through some truly spectacular scenery is one of the benefits of seeking out of the way World Heritage Sites.  

The ruins of the imperial palace of Felix Romuliana were a pleasant change from the Orthodox monasteries.  One tends to forget that the vast Roman Empire included all of the Balkan countries.  In fact, seventeen of the Roman emperors (out of a total of 93) came from Serbia, including Constantine I and Gaius Valerius Galerius Maximianus, the builder of Felix Romuliana.

n

 

                      Boris, the Archeologist, and us

As a Roman site, Felix Romuliana doesn’t compare with some of the others we have visited in Turkey and Israel.  But that didn’t keep Bora, the director, from boasting about its history – and his own, as one of the site’s archeologists.  The site was originally believed to be a military stronghold until the intricate mosaics were discovered, identifying it as a palace.  He and his assistant really went out of their way to show us around.  Bora even extended an invitation to work on the on-going excavations next season.

 

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Serbia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.