Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Welcome to Romania

ROMANIA | Sunday, 23 October 2011 | Views [1793]

On the train to Bucharest

On the train to Bucharest

The woman at the ticket office in Sofia was apologetic.  She confided that our train was Russian, headed for Moscow.  Our cabin, she warned, was the last in the car, next to the toilet.  But the tickets to Bucharest cost half of what it would have cost through the Rail Europe website.  Our bunks were narrow and the mattresses were lumpy but the sheets and duvets were crisp and clean.   True, the toilet was never pristine and got worse as the night went on, but we had the entire cabin to ourselves.    

With earplugs to shut out the train noise the swaying and bumping of the car lulled us to sleep until the Bulgarian immigration guy burst in sometime around 2 AM demanding our passports.  He was soon followed by his Romanian counterpart and, just like that, we were welcomed to Romania.

Bucharest looked pretty good after eleven hours on the train, even in the early morning gloom.  After our first taste of Romanian food, an Egg McMuffin, we took a cab to the Hilton.  When we don’t have a place to stay and arrive early, we usually head to an upscale hotel near the action, drop off our luggage, beg a map, and scout the area.  Gabriel, the Hilton’s concierge, made a couple of calls then actually walked us around the block to the more affordable Ambassador where we settled in and cleaned up.

We didn’t waste any time and started exploring “the Paris of Eastern Europe.”  The buildings are neoclassical, not the Soviet-style I expected.  The main streets are filled with designer stores for the fashion conscious, interspersed with sex shops and moneychangers, not unlike Paris.  There are several good-sized parks scattered around and a lot of interesting street sculptures.  The older parts of town are a warren of narrow, winding streets with taste tantalizing, and affordable, restaurants.  Romanian doesn't use Cyrillic and is considered “vulgar Latin.”  Although I can’t understand the spoken language, I can actually read some of the signs, which makes getting around a bit easier.

We spent the afternoon at the National History Museum.  It shouldn’t be surprising that the Romans played a big part in the early history; the country is called Romania, after all.  We were surprised to see a 19th Century replica of Trajan’s Column as the museum’s centerpiece. It depicts in amazing detail the many, many battles Trajan fought and usually won, many against the Dacians, as the Romans called Thracians in this part of the Empire.  While we can’t wait to see the original in Rome we were able to see the bas-relief sculpture up close today.

I think Bucharest is going to be one of my favorite European cities and maybe the biggest surprise.

 

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Romania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.