Existing Member?

New Zealand or BUST! Why go...not to escape reality, but to find it...to see hitherto unexperienced horizons of beauty...to have the courage to turn against habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living...to be wild at heart.

was that a Nazi?

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 16 February 2008 | Views [1691] | Comments [1]

I had a unique day.  I hopped over to Napier with 3 of the other backpackers to take part in the Art Deco Weekend.  I got a few pictures of the old cars and buildings (and of the dress-up).  I felt like I might see a young Audrey Hepburn walking around.  I mean like a Sabrina or Roman Holiday Audrey, in black-and-white no less.  But she failed to appear.

What did appear several times were spitfire airplanes in the sky.  They had that classic Battle of Britian sound to their engines leaving one feeling like a Nazi bomb might be coming down at any minute.  The fact that almost 80% of us were dressed the part really helped with that out-of-time illusion.

I will put the picutures up within the next few days if I am able.  I have decided that it is time to change my plans again and high-tail it for the South Island ahead of schedule.  I am looking forward to more open spaces with fewer people for a while.  Everyone tells me that the south is the place to be, so it will soon be good-bye to Hawkes Bay.

I do have to say, that my reading has pretty much dropped off the last few days, and I have been watching TV (LOST) and hanging out instead.  I taught Eucure to Claude (a nice German gal) and Dave and Lucy (a Czech couple) the other night.  It felt like offering the very best of mid-Western culture to Europe, and it was well received.  Although every European I met still thinks that Bush planned 9/11 and that the US is about to have a HUGE recession.  So I apologize a couple times a week for being a "Yank".

Tags: Party time

 

Comments

1

Hi Adam. Where are you now? Did you find work? It is nice here today, in the 50's. Feels like spring many come soon. I hope so. Winter is not my fave. I was thinking how cool it would be when you get some property to have a place where we could all build cabins or something to hang out together. I miss you.

LOVE,
Mom

  Marty Feb 20, 2008 9:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.