Existing Member?

Around some of the world in 180 days

Hong Kong Part 1

HONG KONG | Tuesday, 7 February 2012 | Views [919]

The man.

The man.

The first 2 days were going to be about acclimatizing, complicated by a cold that started on the plane.

On the second night, I didn't get to sleep till about 5 in the morning. The whole time something was bugging me, something that I had forgotten to do. Then finally it occurred to me that I could see some of the small details on the ceiling very clearly and I must have left my contact lens in.

One mission has been to find some free WIFI. I don't pay for WiFi at home, so I'm not going to pay for it in Hong Kong. It turns out that the Hong Kong government provides free WiFi in many government buildings. It’s been a while since I spent that much time in a library ;-)

One of the main shopping districts is Tsim Sha Tsui, which I went to a couple of times. It’s also close Victoria Harbour and the 'Avenue of Stars'. Think of it as a poor man’s Hollywood Walk of Fame for Chinese movie stars. The only noteworthy items are the status of Bruce Lee and view across the harbour. It’s also rather kitsch. For some reason, karaoke is also available. By 6pm, the queue of would be singers was already forming and I decided to leave before the Japanese tourists wanted to have a go.

 

The view of the harbour with a junk boat for tourists:

 

 

I think my nieces are going to like these:

 

 

One thing I’ve noticed is that despite temperatures of between 15 and 18c, people act as if it’s freezing. People everywhere are wrapped up in scarves and fur coats as if for a UK winter, except for me in my light top. Am so obviously not from HK that even the local Chuggers won't touch me.

 

Tags: hong kong

About macedonboy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.