Existing Member?

Graham Williams & Louise Jones Travel Blog This is our journal logging our trip through Central and Latin America from July 2005 to the present date. We update it and add new pictures every two to three weeks. At the moment Will is travelling in South Africa, while Lou is living in Buenos Aires.For more background reading on our travels go to - http://journals.worldnomads.com/will/

Into Amazonia by boat

BRAZIL | Tuesday, 11 July 2006 | Views [897] | Comments [1]

Clouds across the Amazon.

Clouds across the Amazon.

Our first Saturday in Brazil coincided with Brazil playing France in the quarter finals of the World Cup. When the match was on, the streets of Porto Velho were completely deserted with no traffic or people about. To the disgust of the locals, the Brazilian superstars lost, as we left our hotel later they had already pulling down the bunting.

We were in Porto Velho waiting for a boat to take us down the Rio Madeira, one of the main tributaries of the Amazon and at 3200 km in length the third longest river in Latin America. Our destination was Manaus, a major city on the Amazon and our journey there would take three days.

We booked a cabin on the river boat “Alfredo Zanys”, a three decked vessel which carried cargo and passengers. The lower deck carried the cargo, on this trip, tomatoes, potatoes and Argentinean onions all neatly boxed up and loaded by hand. The crew also lived down here amongst the veg. The middle deck housed the passengers, most of them in hammock class. In the center of the deck was an empty space, 10m by 4m in which people hung their hammocks and piled their processions. This really was communal living as there were so many hammocks they were touching each other and some had two tiers, one below another. As more tickets had been sold, the hammocks had spread along the passages and to move about people had to duck and weave their way though the ropes and sleeping people. The space had filled from the front of the boat to be as far away from the noisy engine as possible. At the front of the middle deck were the cabins, where we were, the quietest and least populated part of the boat. Each cabin had two bunks and a tiny bathroom (all the water came from the river so it came out of the taps brown) and an air con unit which had power only at certain times of day. On the top deck there was very little, a few cabins, and a snack bar with TV. On the top of the snack bar was a satellite dish which was connected to a handle. As the boat moved the dish had to be realigned by hand, someone moving the handle until the picture was restored. As this took quite a lot of effort it was only done for important events like World Cup matches, when all the space under the meager shade was filled up to watch the game. When the TV was off, music blared out from a massive speaker.

A few hours after setting off everyone settled down, the luggage was sorted out, children ran around and explored the ship and people started to get to know each other. There were even some Brazilian tourists on board, people from San Paulo discovering their own country. Meal times were a communal affair; at the back of the boat were the galley and a dinning room. You queued up for a sitting and the cooks put plates of rice, pasta and stew with great knuckles of meat and bone in it. This was served up for almost every meal, except breakfast which was coffee and crackers. We passed the time reading and talking with the other travelers on board.

The ship ploughed on day and night up the brown river, only stopping briefly over the three days.  At first the Rio Madeira was less than a kilometer in width, with few tributaries or habitation. The boat often traveled close to the tree lined banks; this was the famous Amazon rain forest; flat land was far as you could see, covered in trees. In rained in the late afternoons and clouds stretched away across the landscape, a wonderful view in such a natural landscape. Most of the settlements only consisted of a few houses, with a few banana trees growing around them. Where the larger trees had been cut down you could see the smaller plants and shrubs which were very diverse, as if you were looking at a botanical garden. Further up river, the settlements became sizeable towns and there was more river traffic. More rivers flowed in and we often passed sizeable tree covered islands, the far shore now being almost two kilometers away.

Early on the morning of the third day we woke up on the Amazon itself and now the river was six kilometers wide and we were passing ocean going ships. Instead of wooden huts the shore now housed an oil refinery and a naval base. In Manaus, the port is at the center of the city so you get off the boat and immediately enter the world of traffic, people and noise. After the quiet and isolation of most of the

trip, this was startling reentry to the real world.

One of the reasons for going to Manaus was to visit the world famous opera house. Built in the 1890’s almost the whole thing was imported from Europe from the cast iron pillars which were made in Glasgow, to the tiles on the roof made in France. It looks like a giant mosque dropped in the middle of the city. On Saturday night we went to the Opera to see a performance of modern dance which was outstanding.

As we are now in the middle of nowhere we will be flying the next stage of our trip, to the futuristic city of Brasilia, and from there to the south of Brazil.

Tags: River Journey

Comments

1

It must have been very exciting to watch the Brasillian football team playing in the world cup in the fervent excitement of a Brazillian bar(I guesss thats what you did).
Had some Panamanian coffee this morning at work (present from Panama courtesy of A).
Going to Sorrento tomorrow for a week, with a night in Rome, where we will meet up with friends who arrived in Sienna the day Italy beat France in Wcup, imagine the street seens then!
The shear width of the two rivers must have been impressive, but I'm not sure I could have coped with three days of flat lands covered in trees, the fellow travellors must have been the interesting part. Are you able to comment on characters you meet in a blog or is that full of potential legal problems (I'm new to blogs)?
Look forward to next report.John

  john Jul 14, 2006 6:52 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.