Existing Member?

Pura Vida

Tormenta

COSTA RICA | Friday, 5 November 2010 | Views [467]

Today is the fifth day in November, and already there has been more rain recorded for the month than in the last 20 years! Every day since my arrival in Mastatal has been rain – for four straight days! And we’re not just talking a light sprinkle, it sounds like a waterfall on the tin roofs above. From Mastatal to other nearby cities there is no passage – roads are closed, no clean drinking water and no electricity in both Parrita and Puriscal. We are fortunate to have both here, but with six volunteers there is some fear that we might run out of food.

To avoid the big cities Javier and Raquel decide that a trip to Zapaton is necessary - and Javier will take the dirt-bike. He can’t, and shouldn’t, make the trip alone as someone needs to simultaneously hold a sack of food and wear and backpack full of goods. Having seen the roads between Santa Rosa and here during my arrival not three days ago, I fear what the trip to Zapaton might be like and I am not at all interested. Neither is anyone else. Hamish has the idea to draw straws. Thinking I’ll have the best odds of drawing a long straw I draw first. I was right. But second to draw is another one of the guys, and when he draws the short straw he asserts that he is NOT going on the dangerous mission and throws his straw down. Well, so much for the straw idea. Suddenly it seems that the whole group is disappearing from the table – the table where we all eat and if we don’t get food today we might not be eating in the days to come. Of all the quotes I could think of, one from Stephen King’s It comes to mind: sometimes you need to know when to make a stand. I tell Javier I’ll go.

The attire to wear, I’m told, is clothes you don’t mind getting wet or dirty. Well, that’s just about all of them. But I want to stay warm and I want to be light. Being a true worst-case-scenario thinker, I also grab my wallet and give it to Elizabeth, with special instructions about phone cards and who to call if I don’t come back. I was nervous, and getting ready for this mission made me feel like a warrior heading off to battle.

The reality of the situation was much better than I could have imaged, and while there were some places where the road had collapsed below, or where landslides from above had slightly impeded the road, our passage to Zapaton was easy (and wet and dirty). We waited in line with others who were stocking up, and finally filled our bags and headed back to the house. About a quarter of the way the bike began to sputter, and then it stopped completely. “Mierda!” I had an intuition about gas when we were at the store, but didn’t say anything. I did what I’m learning is the best response to these situations. I laughed. No fear, no worry, just laughed.  Fortunately Javier has lots of friends along the way, and we stopped at one house for gas, walked a little further and got oil from another friend before we were back on our way. Of course the rain had picked up again and our ride home was rather uncomfortable with pelting drops in our faces that burned as they hit. The road seemed to have more rivers and ruts on our return, but we made it back just fine, and now have plenty of food in the event that travel to and from Mastatal remains limited. Another day, another adventure!

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.