Existing Member?

Pura Vida

Paradise

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 3 November 2010 | Views [359]

Paradise is no longer elusive – I found it! When planning began back in the states, I imagined this trip to have only one phase. But as we know things rarely go according to plan. The first phase of my trip was that of acclimation: getting around on my own in a foreign country I know very little about, and working to make requests, purchases and understand what was happening around me in Spanish. The second phase was characterized by learning about organic farming and searching for some mental clarity; tackling the bigger questions in my life. And now, well, now I’ve got it all. I am living with a Spanish speaking family in the hills of Costa Rica. Town, from what I know of it, has two sodas and a bar, and is close enough to walk. Although it has been raining since my arrival I can sense the natural beauty and lack of development around me. There is a national park, waterfall, and river for swimming all within my reach. Volunteers stay in a beautifully constructed longhouse with one side completely open to the world, bunk beds with mosquito nets, and outdoor showers; the whole setup a 30 second walk from the main house. There is a real compost toilet and rain barrels to collect roof water. Upon arrival there were three volunteers from France, one from Italy, two from England, and two others from the states. Although volunteers help with preparation, all meals are typical Costa Rican dishes and this morning I learned how to make empanadas and tortillas from scratch! Although the rain has impeded outdoor activities, today we all worked together to build garbage cans for the dormitories: taking turns sawing, sanding and hammering. Pura vida!

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.