Existing Member?

Pura Vida

Una Aventura!

COSTA RICA | Thursday, 14 October 2010 | Views [517]

After much anticipation, we finally made it down the dangerous cliff! Seven prepared for the journey as Robert looped the hand-made rope ladder around the base of a large jocote tree at the edge of his property. Emily was the first to traverse the steep hill side, relying almost entirely on the rope with little structure to provide hand or foot-holds. I watched as one by one my friends climbed down out of sight, and followed last with a machete in one hand, rope ladder in the other. The end of the rope didn’t quite reach the bottom of the cliff, explaining why on two occasions I heard excited gasps as the girls slid on loose soil and attempted to grab roots of the large tree.

At the base of the cliff was a narrow trail that we followed – hoping to find the river heard from above. The tranquility of the forest all around us, we stopped here and there to search for precious seeds that Gwen and Anaїs could use for their beautiful jewelry. On our path we saw a huge spider with a golden web, a bullet ant, and a tremendous walking stick that crawled up Gwen’s back and neck! As the path began to widen, we noticed ornamental plantings on either side of what was now starting to look like an old driveway up the hill. Continuing on, the smell of manure… chicken manure to be exact, became evident and it wasn’t long before we stumbled on to a chicken farm. With the sound of flowing water growing ever closer, the seven gringos marched through the chicken farm and headed towards the water – each eating an orange picked from a volunteer tree in the woods.

When we finally reached the river I was overcome with disappointment. Not for the lack of natural beauty in the vegetation surrounding the river, but because the river itself was completely polluted with visible trash, and also smelled like detergent. Hundreds of households drain dishwater into the streets each day, which quickly makes its way into the major rivers of the area. There was no visible life, and the river itself had a gray tint that broke my heart. Nevertheless, Mike and I did some exploring to see if the river joined the main road by Robert’s house, while the girls traveled back the way we had arrived. Being that Mike is the only other Y-chromosome at “Finca la Femme”, it was good times hopping from rock to rock as explorers. Having grown up near a river, Mike is quite skilled at hopping like my Tico friends at Finca Quijote.

Despite the polluted water, natural beauty could not escape us. Clay formations with incredible color patterns and lizards running across the surface of the water were contained within the stream bed surrounded by large trees. We followed the river and noticed the bank growing taller and taller around us. We found what appeared to be a natural spring from deep within a rock wall - a cavernous opening stretching deep into the thick rock. Likely more potable, we still did not risk contamination by drinking and moved forward. With sunset around 5 pm and pure darkness un-navigable and dangerous in unfamiliar territory, I grew slightly nervous that this river was not going to meet up with the main road. Panic was replaced by pure excitement and awe as we rounded a corner to see huge, perhaps 150 foot tall sheer rock cliffs adjacent to our river. At the same time, an ever-increasing noise alerted us to something we were not expecting to find on this simple journey – a huge waterfall cut into the side of the cliffs. Still polluted yet incredibly majestic, hundreds of gallons water fell into a large pool at the base. Wow!

But how to get back from this site was a new dilemma. Take the high road through dense vegetation on one side of the falls, or head down river to where we started? With gray skies above and darkness two hours away, I feared being washed down river in a rain event or being lost in the jungle. Whatever we planned to do, we had to do it soon, and so brave Mike suggested we head up the side of the falls. Up a small, 10’ vertical wall we climbed over wet rocks to a level area before choosing our path. Suddenly we heard a loud boom, and the fear of a rain event was surely now more likely. Or was it?! Following the first boom was an even louder crash, as the thousands of pounds of rocks that had dislodged from the side of the cliff smashed the ground near the base of the waterfall! Both with adrenaline pumping and me thinking about the possibility of an earthquake dropping us hundreds of feet from the top of the waterfall to the rocks below, I convinced Mike that perhaps today was not the best day to explore the cliff, and we made our way back down the river and up the way we adventurously traveled earlier in the day. Added to the collection of near misses, had Mike still been standing down below by the waterfall in the instant of rocks falling… Pura vida!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.