Existing Member?

Pura Vida

Busy day

COSTA RICA | Thursday, 14 October 2010 | Views [367]

According to the biodynamic calendar, which considers not only sun and moon cycles for planting but also the other heavily bodies, today was a “fruit day”. Based on previous long-term studies, planting on a fruit day will enhance fruit production, while planting root days enhance root growth, and so forth. To take advantage of the designation of this day, we were each given a project that will ultimately yield fruit. My project was pineapples!

Before planting, I added compost to a bed I had created the previous week. Using pineapple heads we gathered from the farmer’s market, I plucked leaves from the bottom so that an inch of bare stem was showing. While another pineapple bed on the farm has larger row-spacing, Robert wanted these plants closer together to see if it would provide support for the heavy winds that are present during the dry season. I briefly showed Katrina and Dalton the technique, and presto-change-o, a lovely patch of pineapple! I’ll admit that it was very satisfying work.

In the evening, after our hike down the dangerous cliff (yup, all the same day!), we went into town to meet up with some new friends from the University for Peace. Each Thursday a few people get together for an informal “drum session” and bring some musical instruments as well as pots, pans, bowls, tins and chopsticks. We jammed for a while, but hunger got the best of me and I walked over for some comida rapida (fast food); a nice plate of arroz con pollo with French fries and coleslaw. Followed by a piece of tres leches cake, my night was complete and a busy day over!

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.