Existing Member?

Pura Vida

Universidad para la Paz

COSTA RICA | Tuesday, 12 October 2010 | Views [577]

Charlie has been in Costa Rica for close to 30 years, living in and around Mora and having a number of interesting jobs. For a time, he worked as a guide at the University for Peace. Owned and run by the United Nations, the University hosts 150-200 students from all over the world for a one-year Master’s program, and is located right here in Cuidad Colón. Having maintained his connections with the University and being a well known person in the community, Charlie was able to give us a private, personalized tour of the grounds today. Our adventure began with a short climb to a lookout over the Central Valley. From my first glimpse, it was obvious why this spot is referred to as “Gracias a Dios,” with a view that stretched for miles in almost all directions. After taking in the sights and learning some physiography, we climbed down and headed for the Monumento al Desarme, al Trabajo y la Paz. Robert generously paid admission for himself, Charlie and the 12 WWOOFers, and Charlie explained the significance of the monuments, their arrangement and the inscriptions. Set in a circle with a large obelisk in the center, the outer portions of the stones contained artistic renderings of important quotations from the Costa Rican constitution. Inside were quotations from, and sculptures of important Costa Rican leaders that have made contributions towards achieving peace. The center, in addition to having a dedication plaque with the United Nations emblem, also features a moving quote by former president Oscar Arias Sanchez about the lack of a military presence in Costa Rica. The structure is topped by an international symbol for peace, a pair of hands releasing a white dove. A very powerful place.

“Feliz la madre Costarricense que sabe al parir que su hijo nunca sera soldado”

[Happy is the Costa Rican mother, who knows at giving birth that her son will never be a soldier]

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.