Existing Member?

Italia da sola

Day 39: In the middle of nowhere in Nocelle

ITALY | Wednesday, 16 October 2013 | Views [291]

Sunset seen from Nocelle.

Sunset seen from Nocelle.

I took a bus to Positano from Sorrento, then had to wait an hour in Positano for a bus to Nocelle (which isn't even really a town, maybe a few buildings but not much here). It was raining, I got soaked, and I was approached by some Italian guy who kept insisting we go to pizza or go hang out somewhere while I'm in town. No, grazie. I met this couple on the bus from New York who were really friendly. We talked the whole ride up, they were asking all about my trip & were shocked I was traveling for 7 weeks. I said something like "yeah I figured I'd just go do it, when else am I gonna get the chance to travel like this? When I'm 60?" The guy had just celebrated his 60th birthday. Wow, did I feel like an asshole. Well, thy must have liked me, b/c they invited me to lunch, along with some other friends they by chance had met up with. So I checked into my B&B, which is in the middle of nowhere in the cliffs overlooking Positano & the sea. Freaking beautiful. And the hostess was really friendly & accommodating. After getting settled, I walked along the trail to meet up with the couple for lunch. I lost my footing while on the trail & feels like I may have twisted my ankle, great. I had a wonderful lunch with them & their friends, filled with good food, stories, laughter, & plenty of wine. They were gracious enough to pay for my meal. Now I am resting my ankle & hope to explore the trails a little.

I hobbled along one trail (damn myself & my weak ankles!), it may have been the Sentiero degli Dei but I'm not sure. It went downhill, alongside vineyards & olive orchards. I wanted to explore a little the opposite way, but I think I need to take it easy for the rest of the evening. After 2 crammed bus rides where I felt like a nuisance w/ my bag, getting soaked in the rain, embarrassing myself on the 2nd bus cuz I was short change for a ticket, carrying my heavy bag around for a couple hours, hurting my ankle, and partaking in plenty of wine, I feel done. I shall relax & enjoy the amazing view from the patio (you can see Positano, the Galli Islands, & even Capri), and unplug from the world (no wifi in most areas).

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.