Existing Member?

Italia da sola

Day 12: Lago di Como

ITALY | Thursday, 19 September 2013 | Views [592]

View over Lago di Como with the Alps in the distance.

View over Lago di Como with the Alps in the distance.

(written in parts)

I definitely do not have the trains figured out. I'm learning though.  . . I think. Trying to get to Como today. 

 
To get to Como Lago Nord station, I had to transfer in Saronno, but to get to Saronno, I had to figure out the final destination of the train and see which cities it stopped at. So - Malpensa airport train, get off Saronno. Luckily the train to Como Lago Nord was delayed so I made it. I can see snow covered mountains from my train seat window - the Alps? Now let's see if I make it to Como!
 
I successfully arrived in Como. My first stop was the Duomo, very lovely. I am seeing so many churches on this trip. Then I walked along the lake a little (lots of construction going on here), watched a hydroplane land on the water, very cool. Dad - I thought of you. Found the funiculare and took it up to Brunate - a little town that looks over the lake. The views from up there were stunning, and it was a gorgeous day so you could see forever. Sorry Bergamo, but these views were far better. I walked along one road, past giant villa after villa, until I reached an outlook that provided a view over the lake to the mountains far beyond, including the white snow capped mountains far in the distance that I'd seen from the plane. I was bordering Switzerland! I then took a different road, which led up to a lighthouse. I was not prepared for the amount of hiking I would do. I walked uphill for about a half hour or more, until I finally reached the lighthouse at the top of the mountain, with amazing views all around. The air felt so fresh and smelled of all the giant pine trees that surrounded the area. I hadn't originally planned to come to Como today, but I'm glad I did. It was so peaceful to be away from the business and rush of the city. I eventually made it back down the mountain, back to the funiculare, back to Como. Went in search of the main station, which took me forever, and now headed back to Milan in a train that is hot as hell. Somehow I have gone all day walking and hiking on only my yogurt-fruit-granola breakfast. I attempted to find food, but it was all too expensive or consisted of bread and meat. So hungry now and a long way to go. 
 
I went for aperitivo again tonight with a new girl in my room who is from Australia but living in London. There is also a hilarious lady from China, 2 girls from Macedonia, one from Japan and another from Korea. Crazy, people from all over the world sharing this little tiny room for the evening. 
 
On to Genova tomorrow. Hoping to get a taste of real Genovese pesto!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.