Existing Member?

Italia da sola

Day 4: Island hopping

ITALY | Wednesday, 11 September 2013 | Views [402]

Me in Burano

Me in Burano

I spent today island hopping, which meant a lot of time on the vaporettos (I've got them figured out!). I went to the cemetery which is its own island and is really beautiful. Then I headed to Murano, where all the glass is made. I checked out all the glass shops, some of the pieces are just amazing! If only I had more money and an easy way to get stuff back to the states. I bought 2 small items but the box alone takes up tons of space in my backpack. It's going to be a fun month and a half of trying to travel with it. I also was able to peek in on a glass blowing demo. Fascinating. I stopped in Muranos splendid church and then  hopped on the next vaporetto to Burano. Burano is tiny and quaint and the buildings are really colorful and fun for photos. After Burano I decided to take the long 3 vaporetto ride back to the hostel. I think I counted a total of 7 vaporetto rides today. I was on the water so much that I got sea legs. At one point I was walking around and  I felt like the ground was moving below me, but when I stopped and stood still i realized it was just my body reacting to being on a boat all day. I bought some groceries and on the way back to the hostel Venice put on a show for me. To one side of the island the sun was setting, and on the other the buildings were all lit up and in the sky was a giant half rainbow. It was magical.  I felt it was Venice wishing me farewell.  Tomorrow I head to Verona to stay with my first Italian Airbnb host. I hope the trains don't trick me this time. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.