Existing Member?

Italia da sola

Day 24: San Gimignano

ITALY | Tuesday, 1 October 2013 | Views [119]

I found another wonderful market today. Took the train to Poggibonsi to catch a bus to San Gimignano, but got distracted when I got off the train because of the multiple vendors & outdoor market across the station. All the produce looked amazing, lots of fennel! I wanted to buy a bunch of food, but knew I would have to carry it around all day, so I settled on just fruit. I made my way back to the station and found that the bus station was just on the other side. I made sure to get a return ticket this time so I don't get stuck in San Gimignano. 

 
San Gimignano was a wonderful little town. Medieval, walled city with tall towers and views of the Tuscan countryside. I walked around the outside of the walls, enjoying views of rolling green hills, scattered  with cypress trees and grape vines and olive orchards. Then walked to the center of town, where there are 2 big piazzas surrounded by the tall stone towers. I visited the museo d'arte sacra, not very exciting, though it had some cool chalices and reliquaries and large illustrated manuscripts. Then went into the Collegiata-the main church, which was very impressive because the entire inside is all painted with colorful frescoes depicting biblical scenes. Then I just walked around through all the side streets, up and down, enjoying the beauty of the town. I paused for gelato and visited the church of S. Agostino-not as impressive though it did have some beautiful frescoes behind the alter. Then continued down one of the main streets, peeking into all the shops. I bought a small jar of local honey and some pecorino cheese. After eventually finding the bus stop, I waited for about an hour for the bus back to Poggibonsi, and now have to take a train back to Florence. Oh the traveling part is rough, but being able to see & experience all these places is amazing. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.