Existing Member?

Italia da sola

Day 23: San Marco & Fiesole

ITALY | Monday, 30 September 2013 | Views [179]

View of Florence from Fiesole

View of Florence from Fiesole

I tackled the post office this morning. I was super nervous about it but I just have too many things to carry around for 4 more weeks. I got a ticket, went to one window and was told I needed to buy a box, bought the biggest box and packed all my stuff in it, got another ticket, had to fill out forms, finally got to another window and the ladies computer stopped working, so another window and I was able to get it all set up to ship to the U. S. Pricey & lengthy, but it should clear up a little space in my bag. Lets just hope it all gets there in one piece. It rained again, so I headed to the museum of San Marco. Lovely museum, it's got one room with a bunch of alter piece paintings by Beato Angelico and paintings of saints and religious scenes. Then upstairs is the convent, divided into individual cells - each with a fresco by Fra Angelico. I ended up buying 2 books, even though I just got rid of a bunch of stuff @ the post office. Oh well. When I left the museum it looked like the sky was clearing, so I made the quick decision to take the bus to Fiesole, since the stop was right there. Unfortunately it started to rain once I got there. I climbed the steep Via San Francesco up to the convent and Chiesa di San Francesco. It was so peaceful since nobody was there and the church and its courtyard were quiet and inviting with the gloomy weather. I walked back downhill through a green mossy area with lots of trees and back to the main piazza. The Bandini Museum was closed, as were most of the churches, so I ended up just walking around for a while in the rain. Quaint little town, though I wasn't able to do much. I figured I might as well just take the bus back, but the ticket vendor was closed, so I walked up another street trying to find a tabaccheria to buy a ticket.  I found one, but I guess I should start buying 2 tickets when I take a bus so I don't have this problem again of how to get back. The rain stopped, so I decided one last time to climb up Via San Francesco to the lookout point over Florence. Cloudy and foggy, but some sun breaking through the clouds made for another nice post-storm view. I headed back to Florence and back to the hostel for something to eat, then walked around the city a bit (found the supposed house & church of Dante, though it seemed as fabricated as Juliets balcony inVerona) and found gelato. Then back to the hostel to chill out. I ended up having the pasta and wine offered at the hostel for dinner, then @ 8 met up with Geri & another girl from her hostel. I just wanted to get a drink but we walked around FOREVER because they could not decide on a place to go, plus it was Monday night and the city was dead. Finally found a little bar, enjoyed a beer. They wanted to hang out longer but I ended up leaving because I was just done for the day. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.