Existing Member?

The World According to Trav

nov 20/ Machu Picchu

PERU | Wednesday, 24 November 2010 | Views [481]

i was still a little bit sick last night also but not nearly as bad as two nights ago. the lower altitude really helps. one of the symptoms of altitude sickness is asomneia which is the reason that i cant sleep at night. so once again i had a shower and loaded up on pills then passed out. in the morning i was so excited because we went to MACHU PICCHU! we took a bus ride up the ridiculous cliff sides that have a 500 ft drop and the roads are barlly wide enough to fit one bus but then we have to pass other buses that are coming down the hills. the drivers have no fear of death! it makes u wonder how many buses fell of the cliffs because on a rainy day the slopes would be so slick and if a bus fell u would never hear about. all the pot holes are filled in by hand. when we reached the gates of Machu Picchu there was a half hour hike that we took to get the view of the hole city with the moutons in the back that is the famous picture. it was incredible because when we got there it was all cloudy but then the sky opened up and it was like a curtain was being unvalued. they had alpacas dressed up in traditional clothes on the top of the hill. the stone structures are breathtaking. to think that people actually made all of these amazing structures. in most places in the walls u cant fit a piece of paper between the seams let a long a credit card! they had a water supply system which were trenches that would run along the sides of the house and through them for drinking and cleaning. they had more of an out house system for waste. except for the INKA (king) he went to the bathroom in the main water so everyone down would drink it and the farther down the hill u went the dirtier the water would be. there were four major different temples, the sun gods, the Snakes, the Condors, and the Pumas temple. each playing a major role in the Inca people lives.  

 

About travis_anderson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.