Existing Member?

So... What Are You Waiting For? Carpe Diem - Live the Dream

Winter Returns to Lake Tahoe

USA | Sunday, 30 January 2011 | Views [281]

A Foot by Monday? A Month of Winter to Arrive on Valentine’s Day?


The last time we had any measurable snowfall in Tahoe was New Year’s Day. Since that day, we’ve had a rain storm, a hard freeze, a lot of neglected feelings, and then…nothing. A heaping pile of festering nothing. It’s been hurtful, sad, and if you’ve been unable to embrace the sun, park skiing, and daytime drinking – devastating.

At Squaw Valley USA we haven’t had a powder day in a full 28-day lunar cycle! Our ship has deviated sharply from it’s destination in radicalville and left us wondering who the f$#k is sailing this thing!? But, a storm is on the horizon…

Forecasters are calling for 6-9 inches above 7000 feet and up to a foot on the crest by Monday morning. That is what I call good news.

I’m sorry, did I hear someone say “Mhey, dust on crust.” Oh, did I? Well, bravo my witty, cliché conscious friend. Lemme tell ya somethin’: This is gonna be the sickest day of dust on crust you’ll ski in two months, dammit. I recommend you get your ass out there, use whatever drugs necessary to “have fun”, and soak up every goddman inch of that dust you can find.

Granted, this storm is but a brief respite, but, like any homely acne-covered computer programmer who’s nose whistles when he breaths, we’ll take anything at this point.

After this glimmer of hope, we fall right back into the doldrums and watch our storm sails go slack once more.

www.TahoeWeatherDiscussion.com, for the fourth week in a row, offers us a vicious storm cycle that starts two weeks from now. Today we stand, albeit desperately and with a slight list, on the latest forecast models for full-on nuclear winter to return to Tahoe around Valentine’s Day.

Here’s a quote from long range forecaster Joe Bastardi “You folks in the West get ready… though a couple of weeks away, a month’s worth of winter may make up for the lack of it in the past few weeks.” A month of snow every day you say, Joseph? I salute your optimism with a limp yet mildly sturdy golf clap while at the same time marking my calendar and telling myself repeatedly “it’s all going to be okay once Valentine’s Day comes, right?…’cause, ’cause the Snow God’s love us in Tahoe…right? And, and they’d wanna show that love on V-Day…right? Right?”

Basically what I’m telling you is that any proposed hope of a real storm cycle is still 16 days away. FML!! I really need this storm.

Tags: finally...pow!, snow in tahoe

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.