Existing Member?

So... What Are You Waiting For? Carpe Diem - Live the Dream

Sunny side up

USA | Tuesday, 18 January 2011 | Views [176] | Comments [1]

After thinking that it's finally time to relax and let loose now that the Christmas/New Year rush was over, another public holiday quickly creeped up on us (Martin Luther King weekend) and ploughed through Squaw Valley with yet again, thousands of guests. Admittedly it wasn't too busy, and I ended up having the best weekend tip-wise (making $100 in one hit and more on other days). Best of all though, is how amazing the weather has been for the last however long... 2 weeks?? As you can see from the picture above (which was taken up at High Camp yesterday) we are currently experiencing spring-like conditions, with blue bird skies, temperatures reaching up to 54 degrees F (which is equivalent to about 12 degrees C) and of course a continual freeze-thaw cycle leaving us with plentiful slushy, sticky snow.. GLORIOUS!! Proud to say I'm also sporting the racoon-look goggle tan which total strangers feel the need to comment on. Like I hadn't noticed.

Even better than this incredible weather is how much snow we still have. Although we are starting to see patches of dirt and grass peeking through thin, patchy areas of snow, we still have a deeper base than we did this time last year!! The base is currently sitting at 116" at High Camp (el. 8200) and 33" in the Village (el. 6200) so not bad at all. The weather feels so Spring-like, we even got together for BBQ and beers the other night to make the most of it. All we need now it for the pools to open up at High Camp so I can work on that all over tan!! During the past few days I've been working I've had to strip down to a T-shirt, slap on some sunblock and wrap on the old sunnies - its that warm outside!! Who would've thought... My kids are complaining because they're getting hot and sweaty. Gold.

If this weather continues, which it's looking like it is for the next week at least, I'll be praying for the snow gods to shower us with the white goodness we need. I don't think it'll be long before we're down to dirt, but for now I'm just lapping up the sun, working on this developing goggle tan and slashing up some slush in the park. Bliss :D

Maybe it'll be another back to front season with spring conditions now and storm after storm come March/April.. Guess we'll have to see!

Tags: spring in squaw

Comments

1

Love it! XOXO..keep it comin..

  mummy Jan 20, 2011 4:18 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.