Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Day 68

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 23 August 2011 | Views [497]

Don't believe everything your GPS tells you to do - trust your own instincts. Our GPS took us on a wild goose chase when we failed to see a sign to Moree while admiring an old hotel in Boggabilla. We thought the road didn't look right but when we turned on the GPS to check it sent us 15km to a dead end well out of our way!!! There was another incident today that makes one wonder what on earth we are doing on the road. A semitrailer driver decided it would be a good idea to pass the van travelling behind us and must have decided he would keep going and pass us as well to get get rid of those pesky caravans despite the fact that there was a double centre line on the road due to an approaching crest and with a four wheel drive towing a pop-top van approaching him over the crest. To say the driver of than pop-top was not impressed would be an understatement as he was forced off onto the road verge and fortunately managed to avoid an accident. I certainly put my brakes on to try to keep out of the way of any accident that may have been about to happen.

Today we did pass through some of the very flat countryside which I had been expecting to find over much more of Australia than I actually saw. The land was brown in places between Goondiwindi and Moree but the were also crops growing, which were bright green (either sorghum or cotton) and yellow canola, and there were paddocks where crops had been cut with remaining stalks that glistened in the sun like a blonde child's hair. The Newell Highway then passed through the Pilliga Nature Reserve so there were many trees and bushes along the edge of the road as well as many bends and hill rises on the road.   

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.