Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Day 69

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 24 August 2011 | Views [281]

Well we did finally get to some very flat and boring countryside 75km from Hay and for most of the way there, however, the day started near Dubbo with undulating land that was beautifully green and gold due to the crops and with 'blue hills' in the background. We have been amazed with the number of semitrailers that we have encountered from Warwick in Queensland to West Wyalong, NSW, many more than in other areas where we have travelled. They often seem to travel in groups of four, plus there are numbers parked in parking bays or at petrol stops and it is not pleasant when they overtake you especially on some of the narrower sections of road which we encountered today. We have also heard them driving past the caravan parks in the night at all hours which is sometimes very annoying for us but must be dangerous for them. The roads today seemed to reflect the financial problems of the past NSW government as they were rather neglected in many sections with good patches in between and no evidence of roadworks which were constant in Queensland. We will soon be home and it will be funny trying to settle down to 'normal' life again and having a whole house to care for rather that this compact house on wheels. There have been so many wonderful places that we have visited if rather briefly and I would certainly encourage any of those stay at home folks out there to get out and see our amazing country. Another advantage of travelling with a van is that when staying in caravan parks the people are mainly very friendly and love to talk about where they have been and great places to visit, something we have not encountered except to a limited extent staying in hotels and motels. Today there are two other Traveller vans in the park so we went to say hello and found out they are from around Wallaroo and one said he used to play football against John back when John was teaching at Kadina and that he had heard we were travelling from another Wallaroo chap we met earlier. Small world! Well tomorrow will be our last update for the actual trip but I might keep the journal going for a few more days.   

h

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.