Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Day 61

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 16 August 2011 | Views [659]

The Glass House Mountains on a misty day from Mary Cairncross Park.

The Glass House Mountains on a misty day from Mary Cairncross Park.

This morning we headed for the hills - no I should say mountains as we kept on receiving messages of steep climbs and then later steep descents and they were steep! Our first stop was at Maleny where we wandered up and down Maple Street where I bought a wrap made of Yak wool. There are many more places to visit in Maleny now than there were the last time we visited about 14 years ago when it was a very sleepy little place. The next stop was the lookout opposite Mary Cairncross Park to view the Glasshouse Mountains which are interesting volcanic formations and are so distinctive. We then went on to Montville and did another wander along the main street buying an alpaca rug. The azaleas were flowering and there were beautiful trees and views with ferns and rainforest areas, not to mention all the eating places. When we return we must remember to eat at the Poets Corner restaurant - good atmosphere, interesting food and a great view but unfortunately the gallery downstairs was closed and we had already had lunch somewhere else. We purchased some cakes at a little cafe in Mapleton then visited my cousin Robyn's home on 30 acres at Kidaman Creek near Kenilworth and had afternoon tea with her. The drive to Robyn and Wayne's property is quite a challenge. The road divides at one point and then the section heading towards them is dirt, very narrow and windy with sheer drops to the side as well as being a very 'steep descent'. They live on a hill with views into three valleys and as we drove up their driveway, which is nearly as challenging as the road, there were three wallabies sitting watching us. It is a peaceful and beautiful place if a little isolated and has the best view of any toilet I have ever visited - sorry the light was not good enough for a photo! The drive back to the caravan park in the dark was also interesting but more because of the 'pushy Queensland drivers' tailgating a slow SA tourist down a very windy road.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.