Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Day 48

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 3 August 2011 | Views [227]

Today we visited Gordonvale just south of Cairns - it was called Nelson in 1909 when my mother was born in the town. While there we visited the Mulgrave Settlers Museum to see if the had any Trenam information but unfortunately they did not. The museum was arranged thematically with a shop, chinese story, a blacksmith's workshop, info of forestry, mining and the World War 2, and implements from a home from the early part of this century plus crafts that were pursued in days before TV. Next we wandered around the main area of the town and checked out Walsh's pyramid which is the highest free standing volcanic mountain in Australia. We drove back to Cairns and had lunch at Dundees on the Waterfront at the Harbour Lights building where you book for reef cruises. Unfortunately we can't do one of these as it is too windy so we will try at either Townsville or the Whitsundays. Then we went our separate ways - me back to the library to do some more family history research and John to checkout the galleries again. I managed to gather some more info as the Cairns library has a library version of Find My Past available and there I found information about my great grandfather that I had not seen before. Tomorrow we set off for Townsville.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.