Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Day 47

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 2 August 2011 | Views [198]

John needed a haircut today so we had to stay near the park till 11.30. I joined some other women in the camp kitchen for a craft and chat morning while John got on with rereading Catch 22 which he was last reading when Christopher was born. After lunch we went to the Cairns Botanical Gardens and to the Tanks Art Centre. The gardens have a very colourful display of plants with vivid leaves, flowers and seeds. The art centre is housed in tanks that were used during the second world war for storing petrol and diesel but which make an interesting gallery space. Unfortunately they are in the process of rebuilding some sections so we only had one tank to visit. We first thought we were going to miss an exhibition of Aboriginal Art from Normanton and Doomagee but the staff had nearly finished hanging the art works ready for an Indigenous Art Festival which starts next week so we were able to see the paintings. After walking along the rainforest boardwalk located opposite the gardens we were both tired so returned to the van. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.