Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Day 42

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 29 July 2011 | Views [448] | Comments [1]

It was with some sadness that we left fabulous Port Douglas but were looking forward to Cooktown. There was a rather twisty stretch of road through the range covered in rainforest and then suddenly we were back in savannah woodland. 300km later and after settling into the caravan park we headed for the lookout at Grassy Hill where it was so windy it was impossible to hold a camera steady - thank goodness for new technology. Next stop was the visitor information centre at the botanical gardens where they had a very good collection of local information for sale and leaflets to take. We then drove along Charlotte Street and the foreshore where we walked about near the area where Captain Cook landed to repair his ship. While visiting the post office we met a staff member who thinks she knew our great-uncle Arthur Trenam and his wife Sarah Bridget (nee Granaghan).Sarah's father was a publican from 1889 to 1893, a not unusual business to own in Cooktown as during the boom there were over 50 pubs in the town. Finally we walked along Charlotte Street to check out some of the buildings left from the boom period in the 1870s to 1890s. 

Comments

1

Hi Cinny and John,
It would have been sad to leave Port Douglas. We loved it there, though a bit commercialised like Surfers. You are both having a wonderful time visiting different places.
My op.went well, tired yesterday, but now have to wait for an improvement in my 2 fingers. Had lazy day, my stitches come out on August 10th. The Ulnar nerve was removed (near the bottom of the elbow.), and put in a different part of my elbow. Hopefully I gain strength again. The Ulnar Nerve sends messages to my 2 fingers .Will find out more on the 10th August. Enjoy your adventures..

  Jenny & Peter Jul 30, 2011 8:15 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.