Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Day 43

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 29 July 2011 | Views [484] | Comments [1]

This morning we visited the History Centre which has an excellent display showing the history of the people living in this area including the aboriginal people, the miners, prominent people and the chinese settlers - well worth a visit. Their research officer did a search of our great grandparents family for Lyn and me and found information needed to fill some holes in our family history. John returned to the van as we were spending a long time with the researcher so we walked back to the park via the local bakery and bought some wonderful buns for lunch. Our lunch was prawn salad rolls thanks to Lyn - local prawns! Next stop was the Captain Cook museum which also had an excellent collection of material - both local history and details about Cook's visit to the area with extracts from the diaries of various members of his expedition. The building was a convent and girls school with both day and boarding students so there was info about this too. We made another visit to the post office where we were given more details about Arthur Trenam and his wife who apparently also ran a hotel in the town and owned a house and land in Cooktown even after they moved to Cairns. They sold the house and land to the grandparents of the post office staff member. Its a small world!!  

Comments

1

This all sounds fascinating. You've certainly been able to find out lots of information about your family. Amazing who knows who etc. You're now certainly a long way from home but sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Nice to have your own space i.e. the van - home away from home. Keep safe and well and look forward to more news. All's good back here, Jen had her op today & I'll ring her tomorrow but mum said all went well. John & I are going to the Caravan & Camping Show tomorrow
with George & Lesley...check out the vans we like...again...one day we'll be able to think about another one. Love to you both xx

  Anne Huggins Jul 29, 2011 11:57 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.