Existing Member?

Celebrating LIFE on the road, living in the moment Traveling in search of ocean views, great fun, some exciting interactions and new adventures.

xunitunich and a Howling good time

BELIZE | Tuesday, 4 January 2011 | Views [435]

Xunitunich, try saying that 5 times fast while rubbing your belly. This is another site where we visited today. Yesterday we moved to the trek stop a very rustic spot in the middle of the jungle that is very close to camping. The place was set up about 15 years ago and has composting toilets and solar heated showers. Only problem there is the jungle grows alot in 15 years so the showers are quite cold, that's not so bad on a hot day! Once we got here we checked into our room, my  fear of bed bugs caused us to inspect the beds closely. We didn't find any bedbugs which is good. we did find a rather large scorpion. But, we were told it is the non stinging type. When it bites you it just goes numb, but not to worry there is a tree here in the jungle that has sap to counter the effects of the scorpion bite. MAH was not as unsettled as I might have been if it were my bed!

Today we were on our own with no guide. It was really great to tour this site without the pressure of time or moving on to something else. I sat at the top of the 2nd highest structure in Belize today and just spent time looking over the jungle, imagining life as a Mayan about `1500 years ago. Only the elite were able to enjoy this highest of views. These folks included, the priests and astronomers and the king of course. The theory is that the high altars were spots where the Mayan that was chosen to be sacrificed was laid on the altar, hands tied, and the priest slit open the chest and pulled out the heart of the victim while still beating. Many times those that were killed in this way considered it an honor to die this way as a sacrifice to the gods (like Chacmal, the rain god). Others were killed but only if they were from some other tribe or group that lost in battle. The ruins were excavated initially by looters, who learned quickly that the burial chambers (which held jade, and other precious goods were either buried at the top of the temple or beneath the stairs. These folks used dynamite in the '50's to blow the top off of the temples and loot the insides. Never the less, archeological teams since have found lots of pottery and some valuables all that serve to help date the structures and the time frames of the most activity.

These ruins have been maintained by the Belizeans and today they were patrolled by armed tourist police. The ruins are sometimes visited by bandinistas who prey on the tourist. I doubt they would have had much luck today! The ruins are located on the other side of the Mopan river which required us to take a hand cranked ferry to access the ruins. They are also about 4 miles from the Guatemalan border. Tomorrow we will still be at Trek and will visit Clarissa falls and the area on the edge of the jungle. The people continue to be so so sweet and the wildlife incredible. Today I sat and watched a howler monkey family for close to an hour as they fed, supervised their teen-aged children and fought off other howlers with their characteristic and eery howl that resonates through the forest. One young Belizan child told me they howl when they are thirsty. In reality they howl at each other as their way of battle and attracting females. The one with the best howl wins the female and wins the battle. Maybe men should consider this same approach to battle....we might save a few good souls that way! have a beautiful winter day, temps here in the high 80's.

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.