Existing Member?

Celebrating LIFE on the road, living in the moment Traveling in search of ocean views, great fun, some exciting interactions and new adventures.

ATM

BELIZE | Monday, 3 January 2011 | Views [353]

ATM does not stand for a place where you get money from the bank. In Belize it is a major cave site where multiple human remains have been found. The cave area is extensive with multiple caverns, grand rooms, and your typical cave stalactites and stalagmites. This cave is distinctive in that there is a river that runs through the cave. To explore this cave you must be accompanied by a registered guide and only groups of 8 are allowed in any particular group. Our guide Manuel prepped us for the tour by letting us know we must first think about safety and then issued our hardhats and lights. He then proceeded to put all of our belongings in a dry bag and informed us that we had to get into water neck deep. He didn't tell us how cold it would be! We of course knew about the water but weren't ready to be in the water for most of the 2 hour tour! The site itself is incredible. It was used hundreds of years ago as a special burial or sacrificial site for many humans. The cave was known of by local villagers for many years but did not exactly get any publicity until it was explored by an archaeological team led by Jaime Awea. The remains were left pretty much intact for all to experience. They have laid undisturbed for so long that the calcium from the cave has formed around the bones, pottery and skeletons that we viewed. Many of the pottery pieces were sitting as they were left for hundreds of years. The site is fairly protected however, there is always the possibility of further damage by tourists. Consequently, we visited the actual spots where humans were left to rest for their journey to the spirit world in our stocking feet.  

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.