Existing Member?

Celebrating LIFE on the road, living in the moment Traveling in search of ocean views, great fun, some exciting interactions and new adventures.

Carnival La Paz 2OO9

MEXICO | Wednesday, 25 February 2009 | Views [852]

(this entry is from Peggy} - We were told La Paz was the place to be for Carnival as it is the largest one in Baja. We arrived from Loreto on Saturday Feb 21 and watched as they set up the Malecon (boardwalk along the bahia) like a midway at a state fair. Many colorful tents selling Mexican candies, pasties and tacos.  Street vendors selling the traditional confetti-filled eggs to throw at the floats. Also many vendors of glittery and feathered masks and princess hats.  Hawkers of blankets standing up high talking fast in Mexican but they sound just like the late night TV salesmen¨in the US - ¨but wait! there´s more!¨ Several outdoor stages set up and the music began around ten o´clock and lasted until 3 in the morning.  From our room we could hear the bands playing and then the many sirens of the police signifying the end of celebration for the day.  Unlike the US Mardi Gras the big parade day is on Sunday (Domingo) Our pasado (hotel) was near the parade starting point, so we walked over there and had a grand time taking photos of the krewes as they danced and hammed it up in the streets before parade time.  Many floats, many queens and kings dressed in shimmery and siquened costumes and long capes.  Every float had music blasting - you could feel the beat in your chest.  We lined up along the Malecon and watched and laughed and caught candies and confetti eggs thrown from the floats. ¨hey, hey, hey, hey¨ was the call heard all along the route.  Monday we went back out to see the parade but this time it started at the other end of the Malecon.  Same floats, but now we feel we have come to know the krewes.  We cheer for our favorites.  Krewe members pull people into the street to dance.  Today is Fat Tuesday, the last day of Carnival.  We will be on our way to San Juan del Cabo.  I wonder how they will be celebrating this universal celebration of life and Spring?

Tags: carnival, mardi gras

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.