Existing Member?

Celebrating LIFE on the road, living in the moment Traveling in search of ocean views, great fun, some exciting interactions and new adventures.

whale watch magdelena bay

MEXICO | Tuesday, 24 February 2009 | Views [456]

The whales were watching as we loaded our panga in the magdelena bay. We had been driven by jorge to a spot he knew where we were bound to connect with the whales. THey come here to calve and stay while they teach the new baby how to swim and while the baby nurses. The swimming lessons will end in about 2 months when the mother and baby begin their journey north to alaska. As we loaded the panga we were very excited with the possibility of encountering these whales in this relatively small bay. The bay is not deep but is protected by land and therefore a safe place for the whales. The park regulates how long and how many boats are allowed at one time so that the whales are not overwhelmed with humans. we have little time on the boat before our first whale encounter occurs...a mother swimming with her baby. we get close but do not attempt to go too close as the whales will be frightened. This mother surfaces with her baby several times before diving deeper and out of sight. We continue in the panga in search of the telltale sign of other whales....a mist blowing in the wind directly vertical and perpendicular to the ocean surface. All told we saw several whales and their calves or maybe they chose to show themselves to us. The wonder of these beautiful creatures cannot be fully appreciated until one sees them so silently surface for air and gently guide their newborns to protect them from the poangas and humans observing. Their glide to the top is only notable by the sound of the blow of air mixed with water droplets prior to the dive to the quite and less complicated bottom of the bay. Our panga ride ends after two hours and we top off the morning with a lunch of fresh fish tacos served baja style. yum yum. i must go have nmore now as my life is not complete without fresh fish tacos....what will i do once i returhn for meaningful sustenance?

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.