Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

Perks of Volunteering

THAILAND | Monday, 3 September 2007 | Views [629]

I have settled into my new place, enjoying having a kitchen that I can utilize when I want, and a market nearby to utilize when I don’t want to cook. It is close to school, quiet, and has a wonderful view. I can spend my entire weekend out on the balcony staring at a gold Buddha image in the side of Chedi Luang, drinking tea, and surfing the internet.

My newest endeavor has me quite busy, and those mornings on the balcony are sadly become fewer and father between. But I gladly give up those mornings of leisure. I have been volunteering at the Burmese Migrant Learning Center as an ESL teacher three mornings a week. Each class is two hours long. The people who work at the center are wonderful. Everyone is extremely friendly; on my first day I was told I was now part of their family, they are so incredibly happy to have me there that I have started to feel like a celebrity of some sort.

The students are great too. They are all adults, and because they have different motivation for learning English than my students at AUA, the feel of the classroom is entirely different. It is a very rewarding environment to work in, and has begun to change my outlook on being an ESL teacher.

But I can’t lie, my favorite part of working there is LUNCH. Everyday the teachers and other people who work at the center have lunch together. Amazing Burmese dishes that vary everyday. Spicy, sweet, pickled, curried, it’s all there and all delicious. I haven’t eaten anything that I didn’t like yet. Although I have learned to eat first, ask questions second or not at all. Sometimes you just don’t want to know, as your western sensibilities get in the way of enjoyment.

The center is about a half hour bike ride away from my house. Not bad in the cool air of the morning despite the traffic; but it can be quite a challenge midday on my way back, with the sun, car fumes, and heat radiating off the asphalt. But the exercise is great, and I don’t feel guilty when I take a quick siesta before heading off to work.


http://www.educationburma.net/migrant_learning_center.html

Tags: non-tag

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.