Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

bicycle in the city

THAILAND | Monday, 20 August 2007 | Views [618]

It sounded like a gun shot, but I knew instantly as people where shouting and staring, that I was the source of the noise. My rear bicycle tire had seized up, and I could see someone pointing at me. I knew before looking that the tire was flat. I sighed as I got off my bike and pulled it over to the side of the road. Now the center of attention, I could hear people repeatedly telling me it was my tire. Smiling, trying to be polite, I thanked those around me, and half carried half dragged my bike the block or so back to the bicycle shop that I had just come from. The very one that had just put air in the tire that was now completely useless.

Back at the shop, no one was there that could fix it. The guy who had put air in my tire mumbled something about going to work and handed me a piece of paper with a partial map on it, telling me there was another repair shop nearby. But the street names on the hand drawn map where in Thai and it was completely useless to me. It was still fairly early in the morning, but it was already hot and I could feel my face redden by the minute.

“But how am I going to get there?” I asked, trying to move the wheel that had no interest in rotating. “It’s near here,” was the only response I repeatedly got. No apology for over airing my tire. Not to mention any refund of the money I had paid to have the tire refilled. I kicked myself, I should have gone to the motorbike shop near my house, they would have put air in my tire for free.

I was trying to be nice and polite, but it was getting me nowhere. Finally I started to get upset; no crying, screaming or anything, just a simple statement. “You put too much air in my tire, and now I have to pay to have it repaired. I am not also paying to put my bicycle in a red taxi, I don’t have the money.”

I was told to wait just a second, and the guy slipped back into the bicycle shop. He came out with a plastic bag and said that he had to go to work, the other place was on the way, he would give me a ride; he failed to mention it would be on the back of his motorbike. So sitting on the back of the motorbike, I lifted my bicycle up off the ground. The pedals digging into my leg, the handle bars digging into his arm, we were off.

Through streets and sois, we actually ended up passing my house. Then we went around a couple more corners before arriving at the shop. I thanked him, and he was on his way to work. Less than fifteen minutes later my bicycle tire was fixed, the whole process costing me one hour’s worth of my wage. But back on my bike, I just shook my head and laughed at how the day had transpired so far.

About a week later one of my co-workers met a backpacker from Canada who had been teaching ESL in Korea. We invited her to join us for dinner at Somphet market for some noodles to be followed by a few games of bowling. Afterwards, she asked if she could take a picture of us and we made plans to meet up in a few days.

Later on that week when we met up, we peppered her with questions about what she had been up to the past few days. She had gone on a bicycle tour that day. She showed us the brochure and we talked about the tour for a few minutes.

“You know one of the guides knew you guys,” she said. A few seconds passed while Beth and I tried to figure out who it could have been. “I showed them the picture from bowling the other night, and he recognized Steph”. It turned out that one of her guides was the guy who had given me a ride with my bicycle. All I could do was shake my head and laugh once more.

Tags: non-tag

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.