Existing Member?

There and Back Again Not all those who wander are lost

temple memories

JAPAN | Thursday, 25 October 2007 | Views [430]

closer to sensoji with the incense burner in front

closer to sensoji with the incense burner in front

ive come to the conclusion that i dont have the time (or money) to comment all my photos like i usually do. least it will give you something to ask me about upon my arrival at home.

also for the first time since i started this i have multiple entries to remember and make which all seem to be a jumbled mess of visiting temples, eating with chopsticks and drinking cheap alcohol.

the first real day was tuesday, as monday we spent wandering around, but were too jet lagged to do anything other than make plans of what to do the next day. we were so tired we couldnt make ourselves eat anything japanese so ended up with a "freshness burger" instead, we were then in bed before 8pm

tuesday was the sensoji temple day, we wandered around taking in the many shrines and observing numerous spiritual customs

the incense that is burned seems to symbolize certain things, as the people picked out different incense from those being sold, went and burnt it, and then to attempt to get the effect of the incense rubbed the burning smoke (or tried too) into their hair, skin and clothing.

others went to what i called the purification fountain and there they washed their hands one at a time, then rinsed their mouths out and spat into the gutter. only then did they enter the temple.

inside was most peculiar, at the back was a seperate section in which it was requested you entered if you were buddist only, and the service or whatever term is used for it was taking place. it was walled off by chickenwire, as directly in front of it was a large donation pit which people could fling coins into, obviously the wire was there to protect people praying and meditating from wayward coins.

more incense, candles and prayer sheets were available here, but all were at a fixed price, it was definitely different to have people spending money to purchase religious items so close to the actual activity itself.

other than discovering just how many shrines and temples there were, the only other strange thing that happened that day was me trying wasabi icecream (japanese horse radish) it was good to start with until it began melting at a rate faster than i could stomach to eat it.

and in a very recycle conscious city, it was very difficult to find a bin in which to throw it away.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.