Existing Member?

The Wright Journey This is a travel jounal, written by me sophie. I leave on my travels for 8 and a half months and return mid august.. im hitting Hong Kong, Australia, Fiji, Chille, Peru, Mexico and Brazil. Il be working whilst in Oz and when I am in Mexico for three months I will be teaching English to primary school children and helping with sport and other extra curricular activities. Il be based in a village on the west coast, that is only accesible by boat- Talk about throwing myself in at the deep end!! It will be an experience and one I am sharing with my best buddy- Daisy Dixon! Whom many of you know- We are two peas in a pod and I cant wait to go on this wodnerful adventure, full of fun, laughter, danger, excitement, fear and much much more. Enjoy... ALL MY LOVE...MISSING U ALL. X Sophie

Christmas/New Year

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 17 January 2007 | Views [911] | Comments [3]

G day guys!! How ya doin? jokes i dont really speak like that!!

Ive been putting all the photos on facebook and stuff and sending u little individual messages to show how much i miss u all but this is just to say all the crazy stuff ive been up to in the last month!!

At the moment my parents friends have gone away for a week and have kindly let us stay in their house...which is so so massive plasmas..6 bedrooms...pool...jacuzzi...massive garden and just immense! but it is a little big for two..we are just chilling around the pool etc.

Yesterday went to the aquarium and saw sting rays the size of a double bed and huge sharks...and i saw NEMO, DORY, BUBBLES (from finding nemo) and MAMBO (from happy feet) which was cool!

I havent written about my new yr and christmas etc for a while as have had a stomach bug..making me not only sick and blurghhh but also very lathargic and not full of my super funny sophie humour to entertain you in my emails..so here goes!!

I arrived in Sydney about a month ago and to be honest the weather hasnt really be superb..only just started to get better! I think I already said how I almost got deported because of the apple my mum had put in my bag! I laughed when they found it in my bag at security...but I tell you they didnt find it one bit funny! so I put on my straight face and apologised a lot..and smiled sweetly etc! I got let off with a warning and my name in the aussie system..oh well better here than in mexico!!

Ive been to Bondi Beach quite a lot which looks amazing, so packed with people, surfers, pumping music...but not much sand and beauty but it looks cool. I stayed with my aunt when i first got to sydney and she has been great sorting me out like a second mum..taking me for blood tests etc. But..on the subject of her house...and every house in oz...there are cockroaches and a lot of them! I tell you now that those of you who knew my fear of bugs I have certainly learnt to overcome the goddam hideous creatures!! A huge one (half the size of my hand) was in mine and daisys room...it kept on scuttling behind the cupboard every time we tried to get the bugger (this was at 12.00 at night) we were jumping, waiting with the light on, flip flops at the ready to kill the beast until 3.00, eventually we gave up and went to bed! It was tricky sleeping with such a tremendous bug in the room...but we managed!!

We have pretty much seen all the sights and it has all pretty much become an everyday viewing..the opera house, the bridge, the zoo, harbour!! the harbour and the view into sydney on the ferry or from a height is absoloutely fantastic and I think it is the opera house which really makes the harbour look so amazing!

So...my parents came out on the 17th of december and we drove up the coast to a place hawks nest. Was beautiful and we practically had the beach to ourselves, the dolphins came right up to the shore, miles of huge sand dunes (almost as if we were in a desert) and for those geog buddies, sand dune succession was very obvious. At the dunes we would have sun downers in the dunes with all the families we were with, like drinks and stuff and watch the sun go down!! pretty!! but then the bugs would come out...nooo!! Me a daiz went canoeing a bit around the bay, splashing around. We went kola hunting in the trees but didnt see any. But we did see a dingo. Dingoes are wild dogs (quite small) that have been known to eat humans, but actually if you follow rules i.e. dont leave food, dont run away and dont feed them! Daisy got really burnt here... see the picture on facebook! which was not funny..she peeled and was in agony for days! but slowly and surely she is starting to bronze a little, although she thinks she looks dirty!! ha ha Bugs here were the worst, see the pics, spiders like mini tarantulas a cicadas the size of my finger! The first night there I was so freaked out by all these giant bugs. First one massive flying buzz thing flew into my hair, then another bug was on the wardrobe in my room!! I was on the verge of tears and off to bed. I went to the loo and checked all 8 corners of the room for bugs..there were no bugs. I sat down on the loo, reached for the toilet roll...and lo and behold..yes there was a SPIDER...i screamed and ran out...bursting into floods of tears!! but as i said im adjusting to the weird and wonderful creatures of this country and preparing for even worse in south america!!

For christmas day...we were near byron bay in a really amazing posh lodge (those of u who did geography, we learnt about one for a case study on eco tourism... so mrs adams would be impressd) The highlight of the stay was not only the 8 starters if seafood on christmas day but also me and daiz have a possum right on our balcony..see photos and seeing a wallaby! ( well it was christmas). My mum filled my stocking with a few travel essentials, trek bar, tangerine, travel bag, energy shake..and aa silk dressing gown(that was the best)!! well u know my mum... ha ha ha. Daisy had loads all wrapped up..eyeliner, suncream...knickers..soaps, cathkidson stuff, clarins creams!! so i just wished my self a happy christmas and muched on my oh so wholesome trek bar!

The best part of the holiday was Fraser Island...another Mrs Adams favourite!! Ecofriendly tourism casestudy..superb!! Its one of the few completely sand islands..with a vast variety of ecosystems and microclimates. Lakes that are stunning, the sand has so much nutrients in that it is kind of squidgy, you can use it for exfoliating, and I tell you it does wonders for all that dull jewellry..sparkles and shimmers rather nicely! Despite having rubbish weather, we went on a fourwheel drive tour, which was so bumpy we were flying all over the place and our heads nearly smashed the ceiling! While in the 4W drive we stopped off, the two rangers were talking about the one and only koala on the island! A german goes 'iz ee not a beet lonlee?', everyone was wondering why only one koala was on the island (how bizzare), anyway so we got back in the 4W drive. The ranger says, 'see if use guys can spot the little fella', so everyone is looking up in the branches, my parents with their beady eyes (so so desperate to see one, they went on numerous hunts). All of a sudden the ranger goes there he is, there...my parents jumped up cameras waving hoping to get a good snap of the animal...there was a cuddly toy koala in the tree with a backpack on. It was the funniest thing ever!! Me and Daisy also went in a tiny plane around the Island..which was amazing, so much to see, so many different forests, colours, sand, lakes,water, it was such a view!! The best part was I got to sit at the very front, with a steering wheel in front of me...next to the pilot! who was so hot...scott...in his pilots uniform!! wow!! Its a shame but you cant swim in the water here, dangerous sharks, jelly fish, stingrays and rip currents! but the swimming pools were gorgeous..so it didnt really matter!

We were back in Sydney for new year...and saw charlotte in the land downunder which was lovely and very sereal!! New year, we had a really good spot near the bridge so we could see the oprea house, which is stunning at night, the crowds were huge, the area we were in was mad and crazy because it was the only area allowed alcohol! Lots and Lots of people! although we felt and little lonely not being with our friends for new year..we met some kiwi guys and some german girls and managed to have a good night! Fireworks are a must see. they were going off from all directions, the bridge, the opera house and the buildings behind us, you didnt know where to look.

Since then we have been staying in a hostel, mixed dorm, but lucky for us we didnt have any smelly, ugly, geeky german boys, but two funky sweedish girls (who came in every night at 6) and couples. the hostel was nice and very central. I went to the zoo..which we loved..so many cute things..lions, ducks, monkeys, giraffes arrr so cool!! and think i already mentioned the largest aquarium in the world!

We have been out for a few clubs and bars, some with my cousin and her bonkers mad friend annie (she wears a thong on the beach, and swears like a trooper, but she is great). Clubs here are great, really good music. Australians dance a little weird though...they like to shake their shoulders alot!! ha ha. Went somewhere called havana last weekend..with crazy dance music and loads of gd looking guys...but all pretty boys in their low cut t shits, earings, shoes and funky belts and girls in tiny dresses!! but music was good and this band from the uk played....which was wicked!!

but for now just chilling around the pool catching some rays enjoying the space before we a crammed back into a dingy hostel!

We are planning over the next month and a bit...to go to ayers rock for a few days, up to the whitsundays to do a bit of sailing/diving and then down to melbourne (apparantly very cosmopolitan and mad partying)..so thats the plan...although maybe a bit ambitious on our budget!!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Great to hear all your news Sophie. We were in hysterics . Give us a call or e mail your parents sometime about your plans.
How are you feeing?
keep in touch with yer old mum and dad we seem to be at the bottom of the list for communication.
Love you M&D
PS You need to let your friends know that the web site address is wrong http://journals.worldnomads.com/sophie_991/

  Mum Jan 19, 2007 8:17 AM

2

loved reading your journal. You've got a good sense of humour!looking forward to reading the rest of your journals.When are you going off to Mexico? Hope all is well with you. Much love Auntie Marilyn

  Marilyn Wright Feb 15, 2007 2:55 AM

3

Hiya, There is a World Nomads group on facebook that you can join, that has many other people from this website.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2602615796

Cheers,

  simon_monk Jul 13, 2007 12:07 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.