Existing Member?

Slavic Trails

Halong Bay.

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 7 April 2010 | Views [286]

So turned up to Hanoi on a sleeper bus - quite literally, the bus comprised of three rows of bunk beds. Although I spent one day in Hanoi, we quickly boarded a bus for Halong bay the next day.

Me and Jack managed to meet up with everyone so we were now travelling in a party of 6.

It took 4hrs to get to the coast from hanoi, where we boarded a very plush looking junk boat. Although the weather was poor there was no rain, it actually ended up giving a very mystical look to the bay.

On the boat we were served a fantastic lunch of whole Crab, prawns, a MASSIVE sea bass spring rolls....awesome.

After a few hours we stopped and did some kayaking (no pics sorry, didn't want to risk the camera). It was pretty cool to get really amongst some of the isalands. Before we knew it we were back on the boat heading for an isalnd where we would stay the night.

The water got a bit too choppy for me and I did all I could not to be sick! Once we arrived the journey was well worth it. The island we stayed on was comprided of one central bamboo building and 5 bungalows - a max of 30 people on the island at one time!! It was like being in Lost. only with a pool table and a fussball table. and beer.

The day after we went to Cat Ba island, the biggest in the bay. After visiting a secret cave hospital, which was built during the Vietnam war, we spent the rest of the day Cylcing over the island. The rain that fell was welcome to cool you down. After 2 fantastic days we headed back to Hanoi.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.