Existing Member?

Slavic Trails

Mekong Delta

VIETNAM | Saturday, 27 March 2010 | Views [247]

So I have little under 5 weeks to get from Phnom Penh to Phuket via Vietnam and Laos to meet the lovely Mona. I'll try not to be late....

Jack (a volunteer I worked with) and I headed from the capital early on tuesday morning. The plan is at some point to meet up with other people in Vietnam - probably in Hanoi.

We sorted out a 2 day trip to Saigon, crossing over to Nam on the Mekong. The 1st day of the trip was amazing, there was only 7 people on the boat, because of this it didnt feel like an organised tour so much, more like our own private boat ending up after about 4-5 hrs at a town over the boarder called Chou Doc. We spent the night there on a floating hotel before completing the trip the next day.

The 2nd day although we went another 4-5hrs down the river we still ended up spending 7hrs on a bus picking people up all along the delta before reaching Siagon pretty late in the evening. Pretty shit considering a car from Chou Doc to Saigon takes about 5hrs! You can't win them all though. The 1st day was definately worth doing.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.