Existing Member?

Slavic Trails

Siem Reap - First few days

CAMBODIA | Monday, 22 February 2010 | Views [324]

Local Removal Company

Local Removal Company

So after connecting in Singapore I flew directly to Siem Reap. Turned up a day before I needed to be here for volunteering so I checked into a random hotel in the centre of town. A guy on a tuk tuk was waiting for me at the airport so didn't have to worry about how to get to the hotel. Went for a wander on the 1st night managed to find Pub Street and an Irish bar. Ended up watching football. Spoke to the bar staff about what type of things there are to do here. Very kind people, they bought me two drinks for the road. The town it self is fairly small but there are lots and lots of western people here, no doubt because of the temples in the area.

Day 2:

The tuk tuk driver drove me over to the guest house where the volunteers are based. Met the people I'll be working with and they all seem cool. Ages range from 19 to 69, so fairly broad spectrum The woman who inducted me reminded a lot of Mama Ruish. I went for a few drinks with a few of the people from th eguest house. Before calling it a night.

Day 3:

We woke at 6 today to leave for 7am. There are 4 volunteers working on the project that I'm on. We stopped off at a local market to buy food- pork- and took it with us to the building site. the Mother of the house then cooked us a fantastic meal while we worked. The work in the heat is pretty tough so we actually end up finishing around 1pm to head home. Before we left a guy called Suko who runs the project gave us a drink to try, Apparently its naturally fermented palm juice collected straight from the tree.. It looks like milk but tased sweet, bitter, alcoholic. Another only another 19 days work to do! 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.