Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Ferry across Cooks Straight and on to Nelson

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 17 May 2008 | Views [1349] | Comments [1]

The ferry across the Cook Straight

The ferry across the Cook Straight

This morning I was up early and off to catch my ferry. Luckily I'd planned to rise earlier than needed 'just in case' anything went wrong... and lo and behold I missed the turning from the motorway for the ferry! LMAO! It's like I knew I was going to do that, so I had plenty of time to get off the next junction, swing round and find the port... I boarded quite early on, which I wanted to do so that I could get off the ferry before the rush and get on the road.

On the ferry I watched 'Jumper' in their cinema which was pretty cool, and then went up top to take in the views as the ferry navigates its way into Picton between the rocks and islands of Malrborough Sound. Once we got off I took the coastal road along to Nelson, which was great fun, winding along the cliff sides for many kilometers, sending stuff in the back of the van flying... heheheh!

I stopped off in Nelson for a look around and to collect some blank dvd's so I can burn all my pictures to disk as another backup for them. It looks like a really nice place to hang out for a few days, which is exactly my plan when I come back through this way. For now I am heading up to the Able Tasman National Park, which is a little out of the way of everything else, but well worth the effort to get to by all accounts.

I've stopped at a place called Motueka which is about 80km's short of Able Tasman, where I ate and sat and wrote up all my out of date blogs from my note books... finally I've caught them up! Now that I have the laptop, it should be a case of typing up my daily thoughts and then simply uploading them when I get somewhere with a good laptop connection. So the fans can relax... your world trip is still on! ;-p

Pics from the ferry and on the road in the south island...

Tags: driving, on the road, planes trains & automobiles

 

Comments

1

Fantastic post! I went last summer and I was in heaven!

  faehren nach Jan 23, 2010 4:21 PM

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.