Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Manukan Island, snorkeling

MALAYSIA | Friday, 14 March 2008 | Views [3003]

The beach on Manukan Island off of Kota Konabalu

The beach on Manukan Island off of Kota Konabalu

On Friday Andy and I walked to the ferry port and got a lift out to one of the islands protected as part of the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park. The island we chose was called Manukan and as we went past the others it looked like our choice was good, it was not as busy as the others and looked really nice.

We hired some snorkel masks from the ferry operators, but they leaked lijke crazy so we had to hire some from the island operators! We did manage to get our money back later from the ferry people though...

The snorkeling was pretty good here, with a host of fish that we hadn't seen at Sipadan. I spotted lots of clown fish here, with their anenome hosts, incuding some large maroon clowns who were aggresively protecting their best of eggs, even from something as big as me!

We had smoe lunch on the island, which was average Malaysian fare (getting boring now!) and decided at this point that the superb Indian restaurant we ate at a few days ago was due a visit!

We met with Duncan and Kate back at the hostel, who we'd met at Uncle Tans and had a catch up. They were heading off for an Italian place nearby for some western food after eating nothing but noodles and roti for so long... about 20 minutes after they set off they were back having been disappointed by the look and feel of the restaurant and set off with Andy and I for the Indian. They had only done the mountain climb the day before, so the 10 minute walk wasn't so good for them, but boy was the food worth it! It is so cheap and extremely tasty. We all had it served up on banana leaves and I tried the squid masala this time with a fish cake on the side too, it was superb!

When we got back to the guest house, we had a few beers and I got my stuff ready for climbing the mountain tomorrow and went to bed... not really knowing what I was going to face on Saturday...

I've managed to get photobucket sorted, so my pics are on there from the last week now... :-)

Tags: beaches & sunshine, snorkeling

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.