Existing Member?

Charissa' s Travel Journal

Day 2 - Earthquake, agghh!!!

THAILAND | Monday, 16 April 2012 | Views [609]

Day 2

Woke up early and downed a delicious breaky served by friendly and ever so eager staff. We made a move for Patong in the hope of snagging some bargains and checking out Bangla Road in the day time. I am forever amazed at the hospitality and friendliness of the Thai people. Lots of people chatting to us in their best Aussie accents and attempting to sell us uneccessary goods by claiming 'it's cheaper than Target and better than Best and Less'. Epic moments for me! I bought a couple of dresses for Mum from a lovely lady with an extraordinary knack for upselling (I walked out with gypsy pants too). I was continually asked if I was 'Australian mate', to which I replied I am Chinese. Got many great laughs from the locals out of that but it back fired when one local exclaimed that he loved me in Chinese. I was explaining what he said to Kristy when another local thought I was saying I loved him. He told me he loved me too and I had to keep walking through my fits of laughter. Then through hysteric laughter he managed to squeeze out 'why are you laughing? It scares me!' Which only exacerbated my hysterics. Lots of fun! We then headed back to our hotel by tuk tuk. On our return the driver emerged from the tuk tuk asking if perhaps we knew his good friend Jennifer Skipper. 'No, why?' we both asked. Apparently she's from Croydon and because she lives in Melbourne we should know her. Lol. We said goodbye to our tuk tuk friend and clambered back to our room. Thunder and lightening began and so we were bound to our room. I took a luxiourious bubble bath and soaked away the days grime. When the rain cleared we rolled down to the pool to read. That is when I felt it. I was certain that the ground beneath me had suddenly started shaking and it scared the pants off me. Kristy told me it was vibrations from a truck but I was scared. I asked the girl at reception if she'd felt the shaking and she told me not to worry too much because it takes two hours for tsunamis to reach land. It didn't make me feel better because all I thought was 'great, I have 2 hours until my impending doom!!' The manager did his best to calm me and said he 'd tell me when to run! Agghh. Not fun :-( Chose to stay at the hotel for dinner as we were on high ground. It was a great decision because we felt safe , had a great seafood  buffet and were serenaded all night long! 

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.