Existing Member?

Travelin Tales a journey of rocks, dust and probably lots of animal poo..........

Is it Chile in Melbourne? Or is it Melbourne in Chile?!

CHILE | Sunday, 25 March 2012 | Views [865]

Hola Amigos!

 

Well, it's been a wonderful rancho relaxo time in sunny Valparaiso Chile.  We've managed to navigate the VERY lovely trains from here to Vina del Mar and back, gorgeous seaside town up the coast, and travel the Ascensores, (I mistakingly called them funiculars in the last update) without falling to our deaths, which, when you see them, it's a miracle!  most built in the late 1800s!

 

It's a rather bohemian town, rich with galleries, arty restaurants, markets (to the delight of Chis) and strangely, alot of very well fed cats and dogs! I have never seen so many pet food stores in my life! It seems that no one actually owns these animals, rather, everyone, and I mean everyone, has a stash of pet food, and they all feed them! To the extent of, was downing my eggs and toast this morning, in a rather nice cafe, and a kelpie lets himself in and plops himself on my feet. Meanwhile the cat that followed was given a bowl on milk at the counter by the cafe owner.... Now, I'm not a cat owner by any stretch of the imagination, but these are well looked after animals! Very cute! The ONLY drawback seems to be the obvious land mines you have to navigate in the streets.... Hmmmm bummer that....

 

The little hotel we are at is quite sweet too, though a little creaky, (as all buildings are here), I was a little confused this morning, early, about 3am perhaps? I was woken by what I thought was someone running past out door. It wasn't until I woke up properly that I realized my bed had shook..... A quick check on the Internet confirmed wot I was starting to think... Yep, that was 5.1 tremor.....  A-huh....

Will leave that alone, although, quite common apparently!!!!!!!

 

Have have some luck in my obsession with pink depression glass as well! Found a rare piece in a little antique shop.... Mum, Tracy R, Kylie-Ann, Richo & Norma, you'll all get how excited I am with this purchase! and Mel T, I'm winning in the Nanna stakes now! :-p Hopefully I can get it home in one piece!!! (not to go on about it, but found it, didn't buy it, made Chis walk back the next day, the shop was shut, so made him walk back AGAIN today to get it SCORE! For me, not Chis.... I think I owe him now!)

 

Found a little Cafe called 'Melbourne', so OBVIOUSLY had to stop there for lunch, best coffee we've had all trip! Pretty great food too.... 

 

So, in serious holiday mode now, it's only taken me 6 weeks, that's a Capricorn for you, Chis is just back from his run, and I'm all manicured up for $8 - it's beer-o-clock I believe!

 

Off to the waterfront seafood restaurants for dinner!!!! Yum yum! And back to Santiago tomorrow! :-(

 

Ciao Amigos!

S   

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.