Existing Member?

Travelin Tales a journey of rocks, dust and probably lots of animal poo..........

Hang on.... Make that TWO nights in Paraguay!

PARAGUAY | Monday, 27 February 2012 | Views [577]

So after a fairly quiet day in Asuncion, a little shopping done etc, Chis and I make our way to the glorious (not) terminal omnibus... To wait and wait and wait until finally the departure time comes and goes and we start to worry... What's happened to our bus to Bolivia?

So Andrew heads upstairs only to be told that our bus has come and gone? Huh? We didn't see any mid range bus come to collect passengers for La Paz? We are told to make a dash for it across the highway, full luggage in tow, so we did, in 28 degrees at 9pm and stupid humidity, only to be told its gone and that we'd have to catch a cab to met it.... So we did..... We are still in ok spirits.... Until... We get to the bus....

So, the bus is a 'publica' bus, windows open legs and arms hanging out and we are shown up the stairs by a  man with a torch, as there is some sort of oil on the steps.  Hmmm we are both mortified, 20 hours on this .... Realllly? and it was packed! Hmmm 20 minutes into the trip the bus had  to pull ova and three guys took a look at the motor, Chis and I are now looking at each other from afar and both thinkin the same.... WTF?! Another 20 minutes into the 2nd part of the trip and there appears to be some sort of issue with keeping the bus going in a straight line, again, bus pulls over, some people yell stuff in Spanish, some leave....

The REAL crunch came when a large block of ice appeared so the driver could try and cool the motor.... Ok time to collect luggage and think Plan B.

Yup

 yes, we paid the higher amount to travel 'Semi casa' mid class - it should have had wide reclining seats and blankets and pillows and DVDs.... And um air conditioning.... And oh yeah... A road worthy!!!!!!

Yup, Plan B - so flag down taxi, head back towards the airport,  grab a room as close to the airport as poss with WiFi and book flights straight to La Paz in the morning! And TICK! All done! Currently poolside with a Corona and listening to the mellow tunes of some friendly Italians! Geez! And here I was thinkin Paraguay was not going to deliver! Thankyou Universe! You do know how to make me re-think and re-group!

Buenos Noches!

 

 

Travel Answers about Paraguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.