Existing Member?

Travelin Tales a journey of rocks, dust and probably lots of animal poo..........

Day #5 - Patterdale > Bampton (11 miles)

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 8 August 2018 | Views [333]

'Oh the Lake Districts lovely. Lets go there. We can eat scones. They do great scones in 1927' Doctor Who

Doctor Who you were right about the scones, although I can only comment on the 2018 ones.... plenty of the places I've stayed may of even had nice freah and warm ones on offer on my arrival. Delightful!

And.... I WISH I was inside and eating scones and jam right now.... instead I'm stomping it to Glenridding... no, this village isn't on the C2C path, but, it's home to a Steam Boat transport company. Yep. I've decided to take a slight short cut today and travel up Ullswater Lake to Pooley Bridge rather than walk it. It's freezingggggg! The weather has turned to a moody grey with clouds that look like are about to burst. And as soon as I take a seat on the open stern.... people start moving into the centre (covered part). I last about 15 minutes before my teeth start to chatter of their own accord.... and my windbreaker is ashaned to call itself that. I'm frozen! The scenary is now obscured by the rain coming in sideways so I move under cover. 

The rest of the passengers look at me like I'm a (wet & soggy) looney - but I am just trying to feel and see the whole thing. The cold journey takes a bit over an hour to Pooley Bridge - just when the heavens decide to REALLY dump their contents. Double bagged with my windbreaker and large rain coat, gloves, and several warm layers below - I head into town.

It's a quick stroll - and before long the sunshine arrives to heat my personal sauna up to maximum humidity. Shedding some layers I realise theres a food and wine festival in the village! Whoop whoop! It's 11am right?! I can have a glass... or 2 or 3 right?? So I do.... and find a scone to pair my Pinot Grigio with... Noice.

The next stretch is a bit hilly - and the wines are not helping me navigate at all - but I get there... finally... and have a post wine late arvo nap in the sun (accidentally!)

Ahhhhh bed will be lovely tonite.

Tags: trekking

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.