Existing Member?

Travelin Tales a journey of rocks, dust and probably lots of animal poo..........

Day #4 - Grasmere > Patterdale (8 miles)

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 7 August 2018 | Views [261]

I tried to grab the fog.... But I mist.....

Soooo it's NOT raining..... but is that low hanging cloud I see? Today brings with it the ominous knowledge that I'll be climbing the biggest mountain of the hike.

Hell. It's Helvellyn.

So I start out on the climb to Grisedale Tarn. It's quite hard to see and I don't see too many other hikers about... hmmmm maybe I should of checked to see if this was safe enough?

It's cold. I have 4 layers on.... maybe I should add another? Nah - don't stop - you'll never start again.

So I climb.... up and up 950m in fact, my head diwn the entire time watching my boots as there's nothing to see more than about 2 metres from me anyway with the fog. 

And I'm there. My own personal sauna suit isn't switched on high today - it's just a medium steam. What a shame about the fog though! There are only 2 other people here who quickly tell me they werent expecting anyone else given the 'dangerous' weather. Opps. Should of checked that! Anyway... we decide to walk 'strding edge' together after that - best we all watch out for one another....

Striding edge is a knife edge walk along a ridge - and again - shame about the fog.... however - I couldn't get scared about what I couldn't see... or could I? Just as we were coming to the cloud lifted..... Shizzers! I'm not too sure how I would of gone walling that in clear view!!!!

Phew

Time to find my way down to Patterdale with my nerves in tact.

And I'm down. That was suprisingly quick... so I decide to do a little detour and sit by the lake at Glenridding the next little village along. Breathing in the lake air and enjoying the sunshine thats decided to make an arvo appearance I am brought to quick attention by the 2 fighter planes that zoom through the valley in a deafening announcement. Ok that was kinda cool - but serenity clearer broken. 

So I head back to check my digs out at Patterdale and find that I'm in a 'Shephards Hut' - its like an old gypsy caravan - I love it! And quickly fall asleep watching the night sky. Ni night.

Tags: trekking

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.