Existing Member?

Travelin Tales a journey of rocks, dust and probably lots of animal poo..........

Day #6 - Bampton > Orton (12 miles)

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 9 August 2018 | Views [351]

Shap Abbey - the last abbey to be founded in England in 1199.

Walking out of Bampton, and after a lovely evening with some people I've met along the way, I make my way down to the glorious ruin of Shap Abbey. It's nestled snuggled in a little dip in the valley - seemingly with it's own weather as well, it's here I realise I've gone from Winter to Summer in less than 24hours and now need 50+ sunscreen.

Todays walk is finally going to be kinder on the soles of my feet. Most of todays walk will be on soft grass! No more rocks for my ankles to cope with and hopefully less agony for my well established blisters. Whoop whoop!

There's heaps to see along the way, ancient stone circles etc and a cairn called 'Robin Hoods Grave' - it's not apparently - but still interesting.

I walk the rest of the way (more or less) on very soft ground and my feet are terribly thankful! 

It's not long before I hit town and see the chocolate shop! Yaaaay! I go for a look and weirdly and quickly decide that I require a cider rather than chocolate! Lucky for me - I'm staying in a pub tonite! Yippee!!!!!

Tags: trekking

 
 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.