Existing Member?

On the Road "The purpose of life lies at the intersection of the heart's deepest desires, the mind's keenest talents, and the world's greatest needs."

HH in TJ

TAJIKISTAN | Thursday, 23 October 2008 | Views [1110] | Comments [1]

It's FINALLY been confirmed - His Highness is coming to Tajikistan. I'm heading to Khorog for the first week of November to volunteer with the preparations in GBAO. Since I don't have a spiritual leader of my own (Jane Goodall aside), this is a unique opportunity to be involved in an event of massive importance to Ismaili Muslims.

Until then, here's a news report from Asia-Plus for a more official take on the visit (http://asiaplus.tj/en/news/50/40809.html):

-------------------------------------------------------------

Aga Khan to pay visit to Tajikistan

DUSHANBE, October 22, 2008, Asia-Plus  -- His Highness the Aga Khan, Imam (spiritual leader) of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims, will arrive in Tajikistan on October 31 for a five-day visit. 

The visit will come in response to an invitation from Tajikistan’s Government, and within the context of His Highness’ Golden Jubilee - the Aga Khan acceded to the Ismaili Imamat on July 11 1957 and is visiting some 30 countries around the world which have long-standing and close relations with the Imamat to express his gratitude and friendship with governments, leaders, and other partners of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN).

According to AKDN Tajikistan, during his five-day visit to Tajikistan, His Highness the Aga Khan will hold talks with a number of high-ranking Tajik state officials.

His Highness the Aga Khan became Imam of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims on July 11, 1957 at the age of 20, succeeding his grandfather, Sir Sultan Mahomed Shah Aga Khan.  He is the 49th hereditary Imam of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims and a direct descendant of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) through his cousin and son-in-law, Ali, the first Imam, and his wife Fatima, the Prophet’s daughter.

The Aga Khan is founder and Chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), which brings together a number of development agencies, institutions, and programs that work primarily in the poorest parts of Asia and Africa.  AKDN agencies conduct their programs without regard to the faith, origin or gender.

Operating in Tajikistan since 1992, AKDN draws on a strong base of experience in working with mountain societies.  It works in all regions of the country and employs approximately 3,000 people through its operations and investments.

AKDN works towards the vision of an economically dynamic, politically stable, intellectually vibrant, and culturally tolerant Tajikistan. This is achieved by supporting the establishment of programs and institutions that allow the government, private sector and civil society to play complementary roles in increasing prosperity and creativity within a pluralistic society.  The Network brings together individual agencies that operate in a range of areas – from economic development to education, rural development to cultural revitalization, health care to financial services.  Together these agencies collaborate towards a common goal - to build institutions and programs that can respond to the contemporary challenges and opportunities of social, economic and cultural growth in Tajikistan.

Comments

1

Hi -

Pls do share your experiences of HH's visit in as much details as possible !!

Thank You ....
Minaz.

  Minaz Nov 5, 2008 3:17 AM

About shrummer16


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tajikistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.