Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

2007 Travel Photography Scholarship - see the photos!

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 24 September 2007 | Views [6030] | Comments [4]

<i>2007 Photo Scholarship winner Cameron Herweynen with two Yolngu kids at the Garma Festival. Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen </i>

2007 Photo Scholarship winner Cameron Herweynen with two Yolngu kids at the Garma Festival. Photo courtesy Yothu Yindi Foundation/Cameron Herweynen

The inaugural World Nomads Travel Photography Scholarship provided the opportunity for a talented photography student to travel to the Garma Festival in Ahnem Land and receive mentorship from renowned photographer Mark Rogers.

Click here to see Cameron's Photos


Cameron Herweynen was selected from more than 90 international applicants for his beautiful series of portraits captured in Malawi. The judging panel consisted of Jacinta Spurrett, National Geographic, Mark Rogers, Photographer, Simon Balderstone, Yothu Yindi Foundation and Simon Monk, WorldNomads.com. A photography student from Northern Melbourne Institute of Tafe, Cameron was sent on assignment as a member of the media to document this unique celebration of Yolngu culture.

Herweynen says "I had never had the opportunity to work with so many media people before. It forced me to challenge myself and go beyond taking the standard photos of the media, and capture a powerful portrait of the Yolngu people.

I really loved taking part and helping to preserve the Yolngu culture through my photographs, it was such a unique experience one not too many people have the opportunity of seeing."

Regarded as one of Australia's most significant indigenous festivals, Garma attracts about 20 clans from north east Ahnem Land as well as representatives from clan groups throughout Australia. The festival is designed to encourage the practice, preservation and maintenance of traditional dance (bunggul), song (manikay), art and ceremony on Yolngu lands. The 3 day festival created a magnificent opportunity for Cameron to develop relationships with the Yolngu people and capture some stunning images.

"My experience at the Garma festival was life changing. I have learnt so much from winning this scholarship. As challenging as some of it was, it has prepared me for the competitive travel photography industry, and given me the confidence to get out there in the world and make a career from my photography."

A selection of Camerons photos will be exhibiting at Eckersley's Open Space Gallery, 97 Franklin St, Melbourne, Australia, 5th - 15th December, 2008. 


Click here to read about Cameron's Garma experience in his journal.

 

 

Comments

1

hi im 14 i was wondering how or when i could try and get a photography scolership.

  SYD Jan 16, 2008 4:45 AM

2

if im aloud to try ill ask my perents but thats only if im aloud to try

  Syd Jan 16, 2008 4:46 AM

3

i really want to travel and experience a different world! i hope one say i'll be able to somehow go through what you've experienced! :)

  bianca Feb 10, 2008 11:40 PM

4

is there anywhere we can see the photos that Cameron entered to win the scholarship?

  david Mar 30, 2008 9:44 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.