Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

2007 Video Documentary Scholarship - Winner Announced !!

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 18 August 2007 | Views [7335] | Comments [1]

After many hours of watching videos, being enthralled by the standard and talent of films submitted, then arguing furiously over who should be awarded the scholarship, we've finally picked a worthy winner.

Thank you to our judges for the time and consideration given -

Trent O'Donnell - Documentary Film Producer
Imogen Young - Lonely Planet Global Marketing Manager
Amanda Byrne - World Nomads Program Manager

And the winner is .....

Cesar Salmeron - Home, A place I love to visit

We chose Cesar as the winner of the 2007 World Nomads Video Documentary scholarship because he proved it is possible to tell a compelling personal story within the 3 minutes we set and conveyed his story well with excellent use of a voiceover and imagery. He was also able to weave together a script about why travel is important to him and how the places he visits define him not only as a traveller but as a person.

It was his gently introspective viewpoint and delicate eye that made us believe he would be the ideal candidate to film the impact that community travel has on both the travellers and the community they visit. For the judges, his film lingered and that was the key.

 

Runners - Up

Jennifer Kassabian - Where I love to visit

A well shot, well told and vibrant piece from Jennifer. Quite a travelogue style that tickles at your wanderlust and makes you want to book your next trip tomorrow. We racked our brains between Jennifer, Cesar and Fabio and she was incredibly unlucky to miss out this time.

Fabio Miggiano - Africa on the Road

Adventure is not bound by language and this italian piece proves just that. Certainly the best edited film submitted and shows Fabio has a great eye for capturing the colourful and diverse culture of Africa. Very unlucky also not to have won.

 

Other Finalists

The following films ranked very highly amoungst our judges and we commend them on their excellent submissions.

Daniel Collins - Ethiopian Granduer
A very simple, effective piece that uses imagery and understated music to convey the hardships faced by a third world nation. An excellent piece.

Denzil Lloyd - The places Denzil loves to visit

Another very inspiring travel video. Well shot and captures what we love about going to places untouched, unseen and experiencing new adventures.

Patrick William Smith - Places I love to visit - New Mexico vs New Zealand

Unique is the word for this one. A different take on breaking free of the everyday norm and getting out into the world. Looks like he had a ball making it.

Priyanka Chhabra - Patli Gali

Priyanka has delivered a great piece that puts you right in the middle of busting Indian marketplace. Sometimes when travelling it's the day-to-day lives of others that can be the most
fascinating thing to witness.

Michelle Roberts - Children of Fortune

An excellent piece that firmly brings to life the impact tourism can have on local communities and how sustainability through effective management of tourism is so vital. It resonated strongly with the judges.

 

Thank you again to everyone that submitted entries for the scholarship and stay tuned to World Nomads for more scholarships and to see Cesar's work on return from Kenya.

Comments

1

Hi everyone,

I'm an old schoolfriend of cesar salmeron from germany
and I'd like to know is it might be possible to get cesar's email adress or maybe their is a chance that you send him mine. Hopefully you can help me. Thank's Melanie

  Melanie Kriegler Nov 30, 2007 7:44 AM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.