Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Our first day of adventure

SINGAPORE | Sunday, 24 February 2008 | Views [761] | Comments [1]

Today was our first full day in Singapore.  We left the hotel early in search of adventure and decided to spend the day wandering around getting our bearings and ending up wherever our Keen Super Hybrid Sandals would take us.  We strolled around Little India early in the morning taking in the sites and sounds.  Shops were just starting open up so we decided to venture further afield and ended up findig this amazing huge 8 floor electronics shopping centre called Funan Centre, the likes of which we have never seen before.  This place had everything. Laptops the size of the palm of your hand, teeny tiny phones, the most amazing digital cameras.. the list went on and on.  We window shopped with jaws dropping in shock.  We decided to go back there on the last leg of our journey just before we return to Australia.

We ended up in Chinatown today which opened our eyes to the true wonder of Asian food and culture.  We know this is just the tip of the iceberg but it gave us a taste of what lies ahead when we hit Vietnam. We went to this amazing Buddhist temple and lit incense and said prayers to the Buddha asking for a safe and happy trip. 

Then we went to the Asian Civiisations  Museum. It truly put into perspective how rich the culture here is and also gave us a better understanding of how close Asia is to Australia. Many of the artifacts and paintings we saw had a lot in common with Australian Aboriginal Art work.  We had lunch at Boat Quay downing a couple of Tiger beers and some "too die for" Thai snacks.    

Wandering home this afternoon past Raffles Hotel we both had big smiles on our faces.  Will have to stop in there for a Singapore Sling one day soon.

Tonight we are off to Newton Hawker Market to have some authentic Singapore Chilli Crab.  The humidity here is thick but we are both really enjoying the heat.  My body and joints are especially loving being so warm.  I took some great photos today but forgot to bring an adapter so once I buy one I will upload them.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hey There Fairy Light and Jen, your Journey so far sounds wonderful. I'm so excited for you. You lucky girls.

Paul and I are bitterly disappointed... we went to have our vaccinations last week and were told that we couldn't have them because I'm pregnant and Ruby is to young. So, hence to say we won't be making it to Vietnam. We were so looking forward to it. That's life!

Take care.

I'll check in reguarly to get an update of your adventures.

Love Pand, Paul and Ruby
X

  Pand Feb 25, 2008 10:08 AM

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.